Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burner to be push into boiler

Options
  • 27-10-2019 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi there, This is an odd one. I need to push the burner back into the boiler. We don’t know when that happened but we assume it was in the last service 1 1/2 year ago. Burner is firing and functioning but making a high pitch noise. We called a plumber who said that needs to be pushed in. He tried but couldn’t. It’s all seized. He suggested to buy a new whole burner. I tried to push that in with a car jack but I didn’t succeed. Any other suggestions? I assume I can’t use wd40 etc. I will upload pic in a minute. Any suggestions greatly welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭CoBo55

This I'd love to see, can't wait to see the pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭josvill2010

See picture attached as promised

• Registered Users Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Sweet Jesus that's a first, did you try sliding it out to see what's stopping it sliding in? Probably a dropped baffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭mikeecho

WD40
    Copper grease
    Elbow grease

CoBo55 wrote: »
    This I'd love to see, can't wait to see the pic!

Attached for your perusal 😊

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus that's a first, did you try sliding it out to see what's stopping it sliding in? Probably a dropped baffle.

I tried it but it wouldn’t move either way. I tried with the car jack but nothing . I was very tempted to use a hammer to help it along. I did use a bit of fairy liquid. I didn’t think I could use wd40 as it’s inflammable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I tried it but it wouldn’t move either way. I tried with the car jack but nothing . I was very tempted to use a hammer to help it along. I did use a bit of fairy liquid. I didn’t think I could use wd40 as it’s inflammable

WD40 will evaporate off quickly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭jimf

are the 2 grub screws open that hold the burner in place

mikeecho wrote: »
    WD40 will evaporate off quickly enough

I will marinate it in WD40 tonight. Thanks

jimf wrote: »
    are the 2 grub screws open that hold the burner in place

They were gone. I assume the guy who came to service it. Either didn’t tie them or didn’t replace them. We are just guessing

• Advertisement

lots of issues going on that I can see

even if you do get the burner back in place you seem to have a lot of scorch marks around the boiler which would indicate leakage thus a danger of carbon monoxide

the mounting flange on the boiler that the burner is attacked to could also
    be removed complete with the burner there is a possibility that the end of the blast tube is damaged which may be causing all your problems

the high pitch screeching would possibly be motor bearings

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Who knows how long the burner head is on that yoke. Maybe it's already in the correct place. Anyway as jim wrote, there are lots of other issues going on there.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

that looks like a bentone st108 burner fitted to an amanda boiler

if so its quite an old inefficient boiler and not worth spending the price of a new burner on if it comes to that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I've seen worse, much worse, but that's bad.

Whatever you do, stop using it until its been examined to see if its worth repairing.

It looks like there could be quite an expensive shopping list to get it back to health.

that looks like a bentone st108 burner fitted to an amanda boiler

if so its quite an old inefficient boiler and not worth spending the price of a new burner on if it comes to that
    Thanks for that. We got a professional plumber who suggested to change the burner for 550 plus vat. I wanted to try to temporarily fix it to tide us over . We are trying to decide if it’s better to move to gas

Thanks for that. We got a professional plumber who suggested to change the burner for 550 plus vat. I wanted to try to temporarily fix it to tide us over . We are trying to decide if it’s better to move to gas

that's approx. 20% of a new high efficient boiler

that's approx. 20% of a new high efficient boiler
    The burner went back into the boiler, secured in place. Who knows how long it will last. Thanks for all your help .

We are going to look into getting gas.

All the best

The burner went back into the boiler, secured in place. Who knows how long it will last. Thanks for all your help .

We are going to look into getting gas.

All the best

good that u got it back in place

but you still have issues of leakage if your not prepared to go any further in making it safe

at the very least get a carbon monoxide alarm and place in the vicinity of the boiler

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

As for the grub screws, you can totally make out that at least one of them is there in the pic (below)

As for the carbon-monoxide. you can see the flue gas is leaking around the chamber door (as all the paint is peeling away)

493894.jpg

Advertisement