Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink 2 litres of water a day

Options
  • 26-10-2019 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this has worked for anyone with their skin and reducing fine lines as it's often the first thing mentioned when it comes to skin care and anti aging.
    Ive tried this for weeks at a time and besides making my lips a little less dry I noticed no difference in my skin at all, my fine lines were not reduced, the dark circles where still the very same and my skin wasnt any brighter or plumper.

What it did do was make me need to pee every half an hour.

Now I only drink water when im thirsty, I dont drink fizzy drinks and have the odd cup of tea or hot chocolate so water is my main drink but I only drink about 500ml's or litre a day, depending on what im doing but even at that im running to the loo every hour - sorry if thats tmi.

Id just be interested to know how much others drink and if this has worked for other peoples skin as it doesnt work for mine. Maybe my skin just doesn't hold onto water like other peoples??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

It’s a lifelong thing not a thing you do two weeks before a wedding.

Same as all beauty and health things. If you live a healthy life it’ll show. You can’t go to Ibiza until you are 50 then spend two weeks slugging water to hide it.

People want rom com montage treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

BDI wrote: »
    It’s a lifelong thing not a thing you do two weeks before a wedding.

Same as all beauty and health things. If you live a healthy life it’ll show. You can’t go to Ibiza until you are 50 then spend two weeks slugging water to hide it.

People want rom com montage treatments.

It was more like 3 months and ive never been to Ibiza nor am I 50.

I have a healthy-ish lifestyle, regularly eat fruit and veg, oily fish, smoothies and fruit juices, rarely drink or smoke.

Im just wondering specifically about drinking water and if it works for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Personally I don't drink water at all unless in tea.

I don't look my age, I've always looked younger. I think genetics is the biggest factor everything else is a helping hand.

I do accept that my kidneys probably would thank me if I drank more water to flush them out, but I very rarely drink...the last was a glass of prosecco 1.5 yrs ago, so they're not being abused either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Sunscreen is key. Regardless of the season. And yes the water thing. Don't know if drinking water improves your complexion but I could tell you that due to job reasons I only drink like 1.5 glass of water daily. Since May and my skin has definitely turn a lot worse.

Personally I don't drink water at all unless in tea.

I don't look my age, I've always looked younger. I think genetics is the biggest factor everything else is a helping hand.

I do accept that my kidneys probably would thank me if I drank more water to flush them out, but I very rarely drink...the last was a glass of prosecco 1.5 yrs ago, so they're not being abused either :)

I used to look way younger than my age too, got asked for id up until I was 28 then suddenly I started to look my age. Now if someone guesses my age they are spot on, they used to be shocked when I told them.

Drink definitely ages skin but saying that I used to know a woman in her 40's that smoked everyday and drank cans every night and had perfect skin, I met her recently, she's still a drinker and smoker but in her 50's and honestly only looks about 39 or 40 and she was so unhealthy with her diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I easily drink 2 litres of water a day, I always have. I have very clear skin but wouldn't have a great skincare routine. I rarely wear make up though and other than washing my face, moisturising every day and using a scrub a couple of times a week, I never really stick to any products. I probably have a facial once a year and my skin is apparently always a bit dehydrated. My mother has very clear skin too and we both look younger than our ages so I do think there is a huge genetic component.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

It was more like 3 months and ive never been to Ibiza nor am I 50.

I have a healthy-ish lifestyle, regularly eat fruit and veg, oily fish, smoothies and fruit juices, rarely drink or smoke.

Im just wondering specifically about drinking water and if it works for other people.

The fact that you drink AND smoke would mean the effect they are having cannot be fixed by a few weeks of drinking more water than usual.

Water can work, as part of a healthy lifestyle, regular cleansing, washing face with soaps, moisturise body and face after shower, little or no chocolate, sweets etc., Take up regular exercise, running, yoga etc learn how to deal with stress and if possible remove stresses from your life.

If you want to look younger than your actual age, you have to put the work in.... And review after 6months, 12 months.etc (you might see small changes) ... Nothing after a few weeks.... How many years have you allowed your body to "age" at a normal or faster than normal rate.... You can't slow the aging process without needing a bit of time to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The whole "2 litres a day" is an almost entirely arbitrary figure that became almost canonical for some reason. It also doesn't account for the water you get from food and other drinks. If you're peeing the water out as fast as you drink it, you weren't dehydrated in the first place.

Regarding skin condition, genetics is by far the largest factor in how you'll age, followed by environmental factors such as sun/wind exposure, followed by lifestyle ones such as whether or not you smoke. All the water and skincare in the world can't undo what nature gave you, as much as we might like to think differently. Obviously you can mitigate some of the effects, by always using SPF and having a healthy diet, but I wouldn't obsess about not hitting the mythical, magical 2 litres a day number. It won't change how you look at 80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The whole "2 litres a day" is an almost entirely arbitrary figure that became almost canonical for some reason. It also doesn't account for the water you get from food and other drinks. If you're peeing the water out as fast as you drink it, you weren't dehydrated in the first place.

Regarding skin condition, genetics is by far the largest factor in how you'll age, followed by environmental factors such as sun/wind exposure, followed by lifestyle ones such as whether or not you smoke. All the water and skincare in the world can't undo what nature gave you, as much as we might like to think differently. Obviously you can mitigate some of the effects, by always using SPF and having a healthy diet, but I wouldn't obsess about not hitting the mythical, magical 2 litres a day number. It won't change how you look at 80.

I believe it was misconstrued from a scientific paper in the ‘50s that said that you need two litres of water a day including what you take in via food. The food bit was ignored for some reason. I was relieved when I read that because two litres of water a day was a standard I struggled to meet and still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

As others have said, its a bit of a trope, but equally it wont do you any harm.

I drink a lot of water and my skin is good these days. I think because I don't drink any soft drinks, therefore I tend to drink a lot of water by default. My only other daytime drink is coffee. I do drink alcohol, but not excessively, and tend to stick to wine and G&Ts, which I'd sip water with anyway.

I think drinking water is habit too as much as anything. I try to remember to keep a glass on my desk when I'm working and on days I remember to do that, then I tend to drink more.

Genetics are key though, so I'm just doing my best wtih what I've got. Im not a smoker and I do my best in the sun, wearing hats on holidays and spf every day of the year. I've also recently started using the Image MD range and that seems to have made a difference to the texture of my skin and hopefully longterm also.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »

I always wondered about water intake from food, especially eating fruit and veg which are loaded with water.
    Also, the 2ltrs of water a day doesn't take into account weight, height or activity.
    I also wondered about electrolytes, fluids, vitamins and different minerals that all play a part in hydration that dont come from water intake alone.
    Like if anyone has ever seen someone after a couple of hours on an IV drip, they look amazing and their skin usually looks better as theyre getting properly hydrated, that doesnt happen from just drinking water.

Peeing water out a fast as its drank surely means its adding nothing to the body as its not holding on it so cant see how its recommended to drink that amount everyday.

SozBbz wrote: »
    As others have said, its a bit of a trope, but equally it wont do you any harm.

I drink a lot of water and my skin is good these days. I think because I don't drink any soft drinks, therefore I tend to drink a lot of water by default. My only other daytime drink is coffee. I do drink alcohol, but not excessively, and tend to stick to wine and G&Ts, which I'd sip water with anyway.

I think drinking water is habit too as much as anything. I try to remember to keep a glass on my desk when I'm working and on days I remember to do that, then I tend to drink more.

Genetics are key though, so I'm just doing my best wtih what I've got. Im not a smoker and I do my best in the sun, wearing hats on holidays and spf every day of the year. I've also recently started using the Image MD range and that seems to have made a difference to the texture of my skin and hopefully longterm also.

Ive been using Image but find them to be a bit hit and miss, going to give their vitamin C range a try but love their sunscreen, its expensive but its worth it.

I also wonder if the sun really is as bad as they say, I have memories of my grandmother lying out in the sun all day every Summer holding tinfoil under her face to reflect the sun and get an even face tan and she often went on Sun holidays, she had amazing skin and no skin cancer, can say the same for my other granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I also wonder if the sun really is as bad as they say, I have memories of my grandmother lying out in the sun all day every Summer holding tinfoil under her face to reflect the sun and get an even face tan and she often went on Sun holidays, she had amazing skin and no skin cancer, can say the same for my other granny.

That's where genetics come in. You may or may not have inherited their resistance to UV damage but I know I wouldn't be risking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Probably the exception, rather than the rule. It's usually fairly obvious when someone has worshipped the sun over a long period of time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Only magic blessed water from the genie will help us incels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭phormium

Genetics pure and simple plus maybe a little influence from other things. My Dad is in hospital at the moment, he's 88 and caught the norovirus. All professionals comment on how well he looks, not a wrinkle on his face despite never in his life wearing sun cream and spending a lot of time working outdoors. Doesn't drink loads of water either day to day, few cups of tea and that's it. At moment he is very dehydrated and skin still perfect.

I wish I had inherited his skin but seems I have my mother's, I am starting to look like my elderly aunts, lots of wrinkles!

Interestingly though my mother had one sister that she was forever giving out about as she sunbathed an awful lot and was always as brown as a berry as they say, my mother always maintained she would ruin her skin, remember this was back in the 50s,60s,70s when sun screen was practically unheard of. We used to put cooking oil on our legs to help them tan! Anyway that sister lived to her mid 70s and still looked great, no more wrinkled than her non sunbathing sisters it's a bit of a lottery with them genes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭jmreire

Probably the exception, rather than the rule. It's usually fairly obvious when someone has worshipped the sun over a long period of time

The Australians use to be sun worshiper's too at one time ( without any creams or other protection, I mean ) That all changed when it became the skin cancer capital of the world. At the time, the hole in the ozone layer was greatest over that part of the world, and it's thought that was the cause of it. Here in rainy cloudy Ireland, skin cancer is very common too, so I'd always wear a cap whenever I'm outside. As for the daily water intake, I use a simple rule of thumb:- The colour of the urine...transparent,OK. Yellow, I need water. When the kidney's etc need water, and they are not getting enough externally, they extract it from the stomach. Hence the colour.

Ive been using Image but find them to be a bit hit and miss, going to give their vitamin C range a try but love their sunscreen, its expensive but its worth it.

Well, that’s a very small sample size. Not every sun worshipper will get skin cancer. It just elevates risk. On a population level, melanoma is on the rise.

Well, that’s a very small sample size. Not every sun worshipper will get skin cancer. It just elevates risk. On a population level, melanoma is on the rise.

While it's the same sun that shone on our Grandparents, it's ray's are travelling through a vastly different atmosphere than we have now. And seems to have less protection for our skin.

jmreire wrote: »
    While it's the same sun that shone on our Grandparents, it's ray's are travelling through a vastly different atmosphere than we have now. And seems to have less protection for our skin.

How so? I read that the Ozone is in better condition than it was and the hole has closed up

• Advertisement

jmreire wrote: »

Sun holidays got popular in from the ‘80s onwards and travelling abroad grows ever popular. The steady rise in rates is probably down to those first sun holiday people getting older and the sun damage and ageing translating into cancer. I love to see two graphs side by side, one showing sun travel for the last 30 years and the other melanoma rates for the same period. I bet they’d mirror each other, except the skin cancer one would be staggered by a few decades. That’s my hypothesis anyway! :)

Sun holidays got popular in from the ‘80s onwards and travelling abroad grows ever popular. The steady rise in rates is probably down to those first sun holiday people getting older and the sun damage and ageing translating into cancer. I love to see two graphs side by side, one showing sun travel for the last 30 years and the other melanoma rates for the same period. I bet they’d mirror each other, except the skin cancer one would be staggered by a few decades. That’s my hypothesis anyway! :)

Yes, plus in the past maybe a lot of skin cancers were not recognized as such, but it was the Australian's who first made the link between Sunshine and skin cancer, and they had been living there for generations, and even so, not every one developed melanoma. Still, there was a very high incidence of skin cancer affecting Australian's in comparison to other Country's. In any case, even here in Ireland, you need to cover up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I have an Australian friend living here.
    One year we were gearing up for a St Patrick's Day picnic. The day was cold and overcast and we were probably facing sandwiches in the car.

In bustles said friend "everyone got their suncream on?"

A bunch of Irish people look at her nonplussed. No one had even bought any yet that year.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I have an Australian friend living here.
    One year we were gearing up for a St Patrick's Day picnic. The day was cold and overcast and we were probably facing sandwiches in the car.

In bustles said friend "everyone got their suncream on?"

A bunch of Irish people look at her nonplussed. No one had even bought any yet that year.

I'm Irish and I wear SPF on my face and neck every day of the year regardless of weather. I don't think all Irish people are that blase about the sun.

Advertisement