Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamburg beers

Options
  • 26-10-2019 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,795 ✭✭✭✭

Going to Hamburg for a stag in a few months time and heard they dont have the traditional stuff like henio, carlsberg etc Anyone knw what beers they sell that are close to our traditional ones like Heineken etc

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Basically anything yellow will be fine. Planets are one of the dominant styles in Germany. Holsten is probably the biggest in Hamburg specifically

Some bars will have very few taps and it would be rare to have as many 'options' as here. Ireland is very odd in having pubs sell multiple near identical lagers/pilsners. So you will likely change brands a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Going to Hamburg for a stag in a few months time and heard they dont have the traditional stuff like henio, carlsberg etc Anyone knw what beers they sell that are close to our traditional ones like Heineken etc

If it's a stag then you're most likely going to be around the Reeperbahn. The local beer to that area is Astra (there's a new Astra braurei opened beside Thomas Read Irish Irish bar, but its in no way a brewery, more so a gastro pub) . Costs about €4 a pint or €2 a bottle on some of the side streets. It'll take a bottle or two to used to it but it's nice enough.

Holsten is other big seller local to Hamburg. Not keen meself but everything is personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,795 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cool I'll try and pick up a few cans/bottles of holsten in next while to get a taste

Do supervalue/o briens offies do them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cool I'll try and pick up a few cans/bottles of holsten in next while to get a taste

I wouldn't bother, if you do find it you will be paying a hell of a lot more than all the readily available 20euro 24packs around at the moment.

I was in Hamburg on a stag and the lads I were with were "mainstream" beer drinkers and had no complaints or difficulty getting beer they liked. I think lots were served in branded glasses so you could see gangs of other lads from Ireland & the UK on stags etc and get an idea of what brand to try. Pretty sure it was that Astra stuff already mentioned.

rubadub wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother, if you do find it you will be paying a hell of a lot more than all the readily available 20euro 24packs around at the moment.

I was in Hamburg on a stag and the lads I were with were "mainstream" beer drinkers and had no complaints or difficulty getting beer they liked. I think lots were served in branded glasses so you could see gangs of other lads from Ireland & the UK on stags etc and get an idea of what brand to try. Pretty sure it was that Astra stuff already mentioned.

Dunnes do a holsten, not sure if it's the same though.

Thomas Reads on the Reeperbahn gave me a some samples of a few of their beers now that I think it. They had a lovely helles Brau. I Imagine they'd do the samples for anyone once it's early enough in the evening and it gets too busy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Holsten Pils sold here is probably the UK product; name licenced and I suspect little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Heading there myself in a few weeks and for health reasons i cant drink beer, am limited to cider and wine really. Im presuming that cider is generally available in the bars here?

Heading there myself in a few weeks and for health reasons i cant drink beer, am limited to cider and wine really. Im presuming that cider is generally available in the bars here?

A lot of places have magners. Bizarrely Somersby Cider is quite popular too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Bizarrely Somersby Cider is quite popular too
    Owned by Carlsberg, which owns Holsten, which owns a huge chunk of the drinks industry around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Heading there myself in a few weeks and for health reasons i cant drink beer, am limited to cider and wine really.
    what is the exact issue? if it is yeast then your filtered cider and wine will have just as much yeast as a typical clear filtered beer will have. I remember a lad in work complaining about having to stay off yeast, gave up guinness (even though filtered) but was still eating small amouts of bread!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Mod: Reminder that giving out medical advice is not allowed on this forum. Back to talking about Hamburg please.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,795 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

been to a few offies in Waterford and cant find any of the beers mentioned in this

https://hamburginenglish.tumblr.com/post/57272446620/the-hamburg-beer-deathmatch-5-beers-one-winner

Ill try a few the first night im over there and decide then. Only there for 2 and a half days

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

been to a few offies in Waterford and cant find any of the beers mentioned in this

https://hamburginenglish.tumblr.com/post/57272446620/the-hamburg-beer-deathmatch-5-beers-one-winner

Ill try a few the first night im over there and decide then. Only there for 2 and a half days

Only one I've ever seen here is Flensburger, my local Molloys have it. It's not bad.

Advertisement