Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold radiator

Options
  • 26-10-2019 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭

Hi we are struggling to get enough heat to the rad in the kitchen, its only gets barely like warm after an hour of being on. it’s the furthest away from the boiler so I’m presuming that’s the issue, when we turn off the other rads it’s gets hot no problem, is there anything that can be done to solve this or do we need a new boiler/pump? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭delboythedub

Check it for air with a radiator key

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Check it for air with a radiator key

Yeah thanks have checked that and it’s fine

Possibly need the radiators balanced. Give a google. You know that knob to the left, it's got a function (which I discovered not so long ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭delboythedub

Is the pipe going into this radiator getting hot

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Thermostatic rad valves might help. These turn on and off when the room reach a certain temperature. If you installed on all rads They might get the kitchen radiator working. I do not think it is a air in rad issue as you say it heats when rest are lukewarm. You could check your pump that it is coming on but I expect it is.

Issue with thermostatic rad valves is kitchen rad will still be last to heat. After that you are looking at a higher output boiler but you really need a plumber to check out your system

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Hi we are struggling to get enough heat to the rad in the kitchen, its only gets barely like warm after an hour of being on. it’s the furthest away from the boiler so I’m presuming that’s the issue, when we turn off the other rads it’s gets hot no problem, is there anything that can be done to solve this or do we need a new boiler/pump? Thanks

Closing the other rads to barely being open might push the heat to the kitchen while still letting them heat up.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

check the pressure in the system. there should be a guage near the boiler. my system needs to be repressurised to 1.5 bar every winter (after not being used for a few months). When the pressure is low the furthest rads never get hot

Cheers for all the replies folks, I’ll go through each one and report back with any improvements or not

Bit of an update, went around to all the upstairs rads and just left the valve open a quarter turn and opened the downstairs ones fully, TRVs are installed on all rads and working fine, have discovered now that the hall rad is not heating at all unless I turn off all the other rads. The boiler pressure is 1.5 when off , I have the plumber booked for Tuesday morning to service and inspect the system but any other help or tips are much appreciated, I’m thinking the pump might be fecked?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Bit of an update, went around to all the upstairs rads and just left the valve open a quarter turn and opened the downstairs ones fully, TRVs are installed on all rads and working fine, have discovered now that the hall rad is not heating at all unless I turn off all the other rads. The boiler pressure is 1.5 when off , I have the plumber booked for Tuesday morning to service and inspect the system but any other help or tips are much appreciated, I’m thinking the pump might be fecked?

Pressure seems about right with heat off. How old are your pipes? Are they gun barell or copper? We had gunbarrel and one of the elbow bends was blocked which was preventing water getting to rod.. pipe replaced and it worked fine.. plumber is best bet at this stage.. we did go through replacement pump etc before he found the blockage.. it can be real case of trial and error which is expensive and annoying

• Advertisement

Pipes are a bit of a mixture as the house had an old solid fuel central heating system which we changed to gas and added some rads, just have to hope the plumber dosnt discover any expensive problems!

Final update if it helps anyone but the plumber arrived this morning and had it sorted in minutes! He explained everything to the missus but in general it turned out I had opened one of the valves in the hot press that has the roundy red handle on it too far open when I was pricking around replacing the bath during the summer, he said it only needed to be open a small bit and what was happening was the water was just circulating around upstairs and not getting a chance to heat the downstairs rads. And this after me disconnecting and flushing out all the downstairs rads! Lesson learned anyhow and a big shout out to Anthony in Phibsborough gas for helping us out

Advertisement