Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax on Pension

Options
  • 25-10-2019 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

What are the tax implications of early withdrawal of pension? I am currently 52 and have the option to take a lump sum amount now. Is this taxable or should I wait until retirement?

Thanks in advance,
    Joseph

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

JDunne671 wrote: »
    What are the tax implications of early withdrawal of pension? I am currently 52 and have the option to take a lump sum amount now. Is this taxable or should I wait until retirement?

Thanks in advance,
    Joseph

Way too complex to answer from that info.... You should have a tax free lump sum within limits. It could be 25% of your fund or it could be 1.5 times your final salary.
    Your tax when withdrawing pension as an income after this lump sum will be at your marginal rate and will depend on age, other incomes etc
    Talk to a number of advisors, get a feel for it then decide what to do

Advertisement