Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom ventilation issues

Options
  • 25-10-2019 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I have bad ventilation in my bathroom but I only have a skylight that I can open to get any ventilation , I do not have an external wall as an option for an external extractor form. I have an extractor fan in the ceiling that is connected to a roof vent tile but i cannot seem to purchase a strong enough extractor fan.

Any solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Make sure that there is a way for air to enter the bathroom, e.g. small gap of a few millimetres under the door, so that the fan can operate correctly.
    All too often bathrooms are virtually airtight except for the fan, which means extractor fans are then rendered useless.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Is the skylight a Vellux by any chance? If so they can be motorized. This would provide plenty of ventilation.

Another option might be to install a powerful inline fan that is located in the attic space like this:

https://mt.rsdelivers.com/product/vent-axia/acm100/inline-duct-fan-100mm-130-m3-h/0272126

Neither solution is cheap but both would be effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Did you mean the skylight doesn't open? Without an open window a fan on its own usually isn't enough.

Use a squeegee or towel to clear puddles and large drops from the floor, walls, shower door etc.
    Don't leave damp towels in the bathroom.
    Put down the lid of the toilet when not in use and during flushing.
    Leave the door open after using the shower.
    Keep the room warm.
    Avoid long showers and very hot showers that produce a lot of steam.
    If there is a shower cubicle all the better as it will contain the steam but the fan needs to be in it rather than a random part of the bathroom.

Advertisement