Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil boiler/burner not working - long weekend without heat ahead unless......!

Options
  • 25-10-2019 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Moved house two years ago. House about 20 years old so by look of it the oils boiler /burner is the same age. It’s been working fine this past two winters but today it simply won’t fire up......it makes an humming sound but the fan fails to start as does the flame.....plenty of oil and no air locks present. I know the obvious thing to do is get a service but not much hope of that until next tuesday at earliest.....I’ve read on other sites that it could be a ‘capacitor ‘ issue.....has anyone else any ideas. It’s a grant type oil boiler that heats 13 radiators and burns kerosene.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭mrskinner

Can you locate the photocell. Just give it a wipe and you should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Could you uncouple the Pump end and try and turn it from there to see if its mechanically impeeded ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭jimf

a capacitor

b seized motor

c fuel pump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

mrskinner wrote: »
    Can you locate the photocell. Just give it a wipe and you should be okay.

Didn’t check that yet. Where might it be....!

KK4SAM wrote: »
    Could you uncouple the Pump end and try and turn it from there to see if its mechanically impeeded ?

Will give this a go tomorrow plus the photocell check......if it’s the capacitor where would I get one of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭jimf

Road-Hog wrote: »

its not the photocell causing your issue

photocell doesn't cause motor/fan not to start

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Depends on the boiler model. But, in general, it will be ready accessible and in a plastic/rubber housing that will have to be pulled/unscrewed from boiler. Google your boiler make and you should find it easy enough. 2 min job to clean it.

jimf wrote: »
    its not the photocell causing your issue

photocell doesn't cause motor/fan not to start

Gave it another try a few mins ago and it has now fired up again. I did dismantle / uncouple the burner from boiler earlier and gave everything a good clean and put everything back again but initially there was no change. Now approx ten mins ago it’s all working again but it sounds a slight bit different than normal. Something is obviously ‘about to go’ I’ll set it for the Am and see if it fires up again and hopefully it will be ok for next few days and I’ll get a service early next week...!

Boiler / burner is a ‘Grant Euroflame’.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Change the jet / nozzle and see if that sorts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Avns1s wrote: »
    Change the jet / nozzle and see if that sorts it.

Nozzel and photocells do not prevent the motor from turning, read JimF's posts above.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Nozzel and photocells do not prevent the motor from turning, read JimF's posts above.

Could it be a capacitor issue so....?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Could it be a capacitor issue so....?

Most likely a capacitor breaking down. As jimf said, but it could also be the motor or fuel pump.
    Don't go out buying a nozzle, its not the problem and please do not be tempted to try adjusting anything on the fuel pump or the air intake damper.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Most likely a capacitor breaking down. As jimf said, but it could also be the motor or fuel pump.
    Don't go out buying a nozzle, its not the problem and please do not be tempted to try adjusting anything on the fuel pump or the air intake damper.

Still working today so should hopefully get the weekend out of it now. Will get an expert at it during the coming week. Thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement