Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing glass on a Stanley Oisin

Options
  • 25-10-2019 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

OK, I'm about to lose my mind with this sh*t!
    So the glass on the stove cracked the other day, it wasn't even in use at the time. As a matter of fact the stove had not been used since last April by the time it cracked and one day it just went 'pop'.
    Anyway, can anyone offer some advice on how to remove the glass. I've already been putting WD-40 on the screws for days not and still no joy. I've completely rounded one screw, I've accepted that so tried to drill it out with a screw extraction bit...still no joy.

I lit the stove today hoping the heat will help get things moving...nope, nothing.

Of course I'm doing this with the door still on so it's hard to apply pressure on it. I tried removing the screws on the hinge on the stove side and no, nothing moving (oh, and probably rounded one of the screws on that too :()

So, any tips? (that doesn't involve a bottle of whiskey and a shotgun).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I would advise contacting Stanley, I found them excellent to deal with in the past. Had a hinge crack on an Oisin stove and they sent out 2 new hinges free of charge (had the stove about 3 years at that stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

OK, I'm about to lose my mind with this sh*t!
    So the glass on the stove cracked the other day, it wasn't even in use at the time. As a matter of fact the stove had not been used since last April by the time it cracked and one day it just went 'pop'.
    Anyway, can anyone offer some advice on how to remove the glass. I've already been putting WD-40 on the screws for days not and still no joy. I've completely rounded one screw, I've accepted that so tried to drill it out with a screw extraction bit...still no joy.

I lit the stove today hoping the heat will help get things moving...nope, nothing.

Of course I'm doing this with the door still on so it's hard to apply pressure on it. I tried removing the screws on the hinge on the stove side and no, nothing moving (oh, and probably rounded one of the screws on that too :()

So, any tips? (that doesn't involve a bottle of whiskey and a shotgun).

Have a few shots of the whisky and then use the bottle to break the glass completely. I'm not sure as I'm not in front of mine, bit would smashing all the glass then take the pressure off the screws?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

opentarget wrote: »
    Have a few shots of the whisky and then use the bottle to break the glass completely. I'm not sure as I'm not in front of mine, bit would smashing all the glass then take the pressure off the screws?

it's an option I may try if Stanley don't offer any help :)

I would advise contacting Stanley, I found them excellent to deal with in the past. Had a hinge crack on an Oisin stove and they sent out 2 new hinges free of charge (had the stove about 3 years at that stage).

thanks for that, I'll wait until Tuesday to contact them. I'm so annoyed over it, especially now that I've goosed some of the screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Same happened with my Stanley Ousin.
    I phoned the chap who put in the stove and he told me to break the rest of the glass away completely from around the screws. When I did that I was able to unscrew them easily enough.

• Advertisement

thanks folks

Advertisement