Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sally Gap Ascent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Tim76 wrote: »
    Going for a spin in Wicklow this weekend. Going to try the loop in the link below, roughly Laragh- Sally Gap- Blessington.

Any advice out there on whether a clockwise or anti clockwise route would be recommended?

We’ll be starting in Laragh and I’ll have the missus with me so whichever side makes the Sally Gap easier the better!

https://www.activeme.ie/guides/blessington-lakes-wicklow-mountains-and-glendalough-loop-cycling-route-wicklow-ireland/

If there was a southerly wind blowing I'd chose anti clockwise so I'd get blown up the first ascent. And the wicklow gap from the other side is more westerly in direction. The gap from any direction has its pros and cons but aside from a few little ramps it's all fairly gradual and straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

I would consider anti clockwise the easier of the 2, Blessington to Glendalough then up to the Sally Gap and home. Not easy either way but the constant drag from Glendalough over the Wicklow Gap can be tough especially with a headwind, bring some extra layers it will be cold, I was up there today and was feeling the cold at times,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

For me, the direction you've chosen is a good bit easier than the other way around. A few long slogs but no really steep ramps, so handy enough. Watch your descent from the Sally gap cross roads towards Blessington as there is a nasty hairpin bend at a bridge after the first steeper section which people have come undone on in the past. Similarly if there are strong cross winds I'd advise taking it easy down the Wicklow gap, tempting as it might be to go full tilt at the end of your spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

the following is a nice deviation to your route south of Valleymount taking the road via Quintagh, there is some extra climbing (~+100m) but you get some great views across to Blessington Lakes and the road is a little quieter

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.0946037,-6.5249278/53.0615532,-6.4627005/@53.0763092,-6.5341358,13z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. so whichever side makes the Sally Gap easier the better!....
    You haven't mentioned the Wicklow Gap which is on your route. :confused:

It would be considered tougher than the Sally Gap.

Counter clockwise would be a bit easier in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Sally Gap is easiest from Manor Kilbride (ie clockwise)

Wicklow Gap is easiest from Valleymount (ie counter-clockwise)

Starting from Laragh, I would be inclined to tackle the Wicklow Gap first but wind direction on the day, particularly on the exposed section between Sally Gap and Glenmacnass Waterfall, could well change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm of the view that the biggest factor is the wind from the top of Glenmacnass to the Sally Gap - that section can be a slog into a head wind either direction. Prevailing south westerlies normally mean Laragh to Sallygap is easier, but a northerly wind I'd swap around.

A day when wind isn't a factor Sally Gap from Laragh, Wicklow gap from Valleymount/ Blessington side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A day when wind isn't a factor Sally Gap from Laragh, Wicklow gap from Valleymount/ Blessington side.

Met has light winds this Saturday and Sunday, slightly warmer Sunday. Might head over the gap to Laragh myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Wind looks like it will be coming from a north/westerly direction most of the weekend so I’m thinking the clockwise direction might be handier. Although the opening leg from Laragh to Blessington might be tough, but at least the wind will be working for us after that.

Where’s the Wicklow Gap by the way? Excuse my ignorance, don’t get to take the bike out of Munster too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

You'll leave Laragh straight up the Wicklow Gap on the road to Blessington.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

TBH, I find the Wicklow Gap much more wind-vulnerable than the Sally. The WWG is quite straight - if you have a headwind there, there's not a lot of escape. Sally, on the other hand, has several hairpins and sharp bends, so that you get a break (and even a little push), even in a headwind.

In anything but a W or NW wind, I would go Laragh-WWG-Valleymount-Blessington - Bookshop Cafe on Main Street (a critical part of any route is the coffee/soup stop!) - keep W of the Lake up to Manor Kilbride (easier than via Ballysmuttan), then up the Liffey Valley to the Sally Gap, and finally across to Laragh.

In a Westerly, I'd go the other way - that way, most of your into-wind cycling is downhill from the Sally Gap, and the lower half of that has a lot of forest. Same coffee stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

seems a northerly breeze this weekend. coming from Valleymount you'll have had a nice tailwind start and its sheltered enough up the easier side of Wicklow Gap from that side. Not tempted to take in the Lake Drive first?!!

careful on the Gap's descent - its fast and exposed - wind on your left shoulder might gust and take you and the bike right.

whatever wind there is will be full in your face to Sally Gap which is sheltered enough through the woods, that is until you reach the pitches by glenmacnass and the false flat sections make it a tough ride. one of the hardest roads in Ireland in my opinion depending on the wind, seems to go on forever.

i think anticlockwise is the easier route - Wicklow Gap from Laragh is harder than from Valleymount or Hollywood

brownian wrote: »
    In a Westerly, I'd go the other way - that way, most of your into-wind cycling is downhill from the Sally Gap, and the lower half of that has a lot of forest. Same coffee stop.

Actually the anti-clockwise route over the Sally Gap might make a bit more sense. Once i turn for Manor Kilbride on the other side it'll be plain sailing back to Laragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Always found the Wicklow Gap ok, even from Laragh. Tough middle 1.5km, but after that generally ok. Still, it is easier from the Valleymount side.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Actually the anti-clockwise route over the Sally Gap might make a bit more sense. Once i turn for Manor Kilbride on the other side it'll be plain sailing back to Laragh.
    Eh ....you have to go over the Wicklow Gap to get to Laragh! Hardly plain sailing as such.

Eh ....you have to go over the Wicklow Gap to get to Laragh! Hardly plain sailing as such.

Forgot to add the tongue in cheek emoji!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Its great whichever way you do it, just wrap up for the wind and long descents

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

So the overwhelming consensus is to go clockwise...or anticlockwise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

cletus wrote: »
    So the overwhelming consensus is to go clockwise...or anticlockwise :D

Yes but don’t forget both of those clocks go back on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

so how did you get on OP ? did you make it round......

• Advertisement

thelawman wrote: »
    so how did you get on OP ? did you make it round......

Sure did. Amazing spin. Great weather, spectacular scenery and decent enough roads. Couldn't have asked for more.

Ended up taking the anti-clockwise route in the end. We started climbing as soon as we left the B&B on the long drag from Laragh up to the Sally Gap. The climb was handy enough but long. Scenery and sunshine does a lot to distract the mind though.

Took the Wicklow Gap from the Valleymount side and I was glad we did! Attacking it from the east in a headwind would have been very tough.

Think the missus was starting to display signs of mild hypothermia towards the end, probably should have offered her my overshoes a bit earlier in the spin :eek:

Must call back in the New Year and go clockwise!

Ended up taking the anti-clockwise route in the end.....
    Must call back in the New Year and go clockwise!

To sort out the real men from the boys this time

Advertisement