Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drip from chimney onto stove

Options
  • 24-10-2019 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have a convector stove, connected to via Vitreous Enamel Stove Pipe to a flu reducer... and the reducer is in turn connected into the chimney/flu starter with 8 inch clay flu liners above this.

The chimney is only a year old (new build... 12 months). On top of the chimney is a bonnet type cap to stop rain coming down the chimney.

I used well seasoned timber, beech stored in a shed for the past 6 years!.

I used the stove a good bit last winter and had a little big of watery soot/cresote type residue the on a few occasions. The residue was dripping down around where the reducer is inserted into the chimney starter,

When the stove was lit, it fired up fine and the glass was not getting black due to moisture/bad combustion. The drop was only occurring after the fire died down. Back then, I had the stove lit fairly regularly and running for a good few hours. The drop issue did not happen that much.

Anyhow, I lit the stove last week for a few hours and the problem is back with a bang. I reckon the problem is that the the chimney is cold and more regular lighting and extended periods of lighting will resolve the issue as the chimney warms up.

LAst weekend I had used a rigid flu seal (silicon tube type job) to seal around the reducer... I just smeared it around where the joint between the reducer and chimney starter. i let it set for 24 hours and then lit the stove again, but the problem happened again, some dripping.

The obvious way around this is to instal a flexi flu liner and fill between the flexi liner with vermiculite. I dont really want to go to this trouble, as the heat from the stove is great and it heats the whole house at the moment.

Anyone know if there is there a solution to this? Would it be too hot up there for one of those fleixible Silicone Sealants that are only good to 300 C?

I cant get back the guy who put the stove in btw...

Thanks

Advertisement