Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Christmas Shoebox Appeal

  • 24-10-2019 9:52am
    #1
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 71,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭ New Home


    (Mods, apologies if this isn't allowed/it's in the wrong place - also, I've no connections with that organization, but I do think it's a great idea).

    I love the whole process! Choosing the shoebox, wrapping it properly (even choosing the paper gives me a little thrill!), finding the little presents to put in, etc. :)

    I used to put pyjamas in them, too, a good few years back, but it seems that larger items of clothing aren't allowed any more. Would anyone here know why?

    Anyone else doing this?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭ DvB


    New Home wrote: »
    (Mods, apologies if this isn't allowed/it's in the wrong place - also, I've no connections with that organization, but I do think it's a great idea).

    I love the whole process! Choosing the shoebox, wrapping it properly (even choosing the paper gives me a little thrill!), finding the little presents to put in, etc. :)

    I used to put pyjamas in them, too, a good few years back, but it seems that larger items of clothing aren't allowed any more. Would anyone here know why?

    Anyone else doing this?

    Our kids school has done it most years & we tend to do up 2 of them (1 each), we usually stick to the list of preferred items though as apparently the listed stuff is really whats needed most. We tended to stick some extra little treats in too though, usually small though.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens




  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭ otnomart


    New Home wrote: »
    Anyone else doing this?
    They don't do anything as such where I live,

    I think it is a US/UK/Ireland charity.

    It is a great idea though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭ vicwatson


    Prefer to give it to a homeless charity in Dublin which are doing them this year

    https://ichh.ie/ichh-fill-a-luas-event/

    Rather than the evangelical Samaritans purse


  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ ksceniaonegina


    I'm new to this. How can I contribute? What do people usually pack in the boxes?


  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 71,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭ New Home


    Info here. :)


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 71,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭ New Home


    vicwatson wrote: »
    Prefer to give it to a homeless charity in Dublin which are doing them this year

    https://ichh.ie/ichh-fill-a-luas-event/

    Rather than the evangelical Samaritans purse


    That's good if you're Dublin-based.


  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,102 ✭✭✭✭ Zaph


    vicwatson wrote: »
    Prefer to give it to a homeless charity in Dublin which are doing them this year

    https://ichh.ie/ichh-fill-a-luas-event/

    Rather than the evangelical Samaritans purse

    Team Hope are another crowd that do them, and by all accounts they use the boxes for a spot of proselyting by adding religious pamphlets and the like to them. They also tend to keep that quiet, so not a lot of people are aware of it. It's a great thing to do, but people may want to check that they're OK with the particular organisation they're donating to first.


  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 71,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭ New Home


    I didn't know that Zaph, thanks for clarifying.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭ screamer


    Zaph wrote: »
    Team Hope are another crowd that do them, and by all accounts they use the boxes for a spot of proselyting by adding religious pamphlets and the like to them. They also tend to keep that quiet, so not a lot of people are aware of it. It's a great thing to do, but people may want to check that they're OK with the particular organisation they're donating to first.

    Exactly why I don’t do them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭ Toto Wolfcastle


    Zaph wrote: »
    Team Hope are another crowd that do them, and by all accounts they use the boxes for a spot of proselyting by adding religious pamphlets and the like to them. They also tend to keep that quiet, so not a lot of people are aware of it. It's a great thing to do, but people may want to check that they're OK with the particular organisation they're donating to first.

    I actually looked this up the other day because everything I'd read about Team Hope suggested they put religious materials in the boxes but on their FAQ they say they don't. They used to be a subsidiary of American evangelical group Samaritan’s Purse apparently, but they severed ties with them. Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a religious discussion but I thought it was worth clarifying for people who were under the same impression as I was regarding religious materials in boxes.

    The ICHH one looks good.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭ vicwatson


    New Home wrote: »
    Info here. :)

    This is Samaritans Purse

    Info here, people can give them if they want but worth being informed as to what happens with these shoeboxes that go to “team hope”

    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/08/christmas-evangelical-christians-samaritans-purse-children-muslim-countries


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭ vicwatson


    Zaph wrote: »
    Team Hope are another crowd that do them, and by all accounts they use the boxes for a spot of proselyting by adding religious pamphlets and the like to them. They also tend to keep that quiet, so not a lot of people are aware of it. It's a great thing to do, but people may want to check that they're OK with the particular organisation they're donating to first.

    Team hope/Samaritan’s purse are one in the same, they changed their name in Ireland from samaritan’s purse to team hope.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭ vicwatson


    screamer wrote: »
    Exactly why I don’t do them.

    They are known to send containers of these shoeboxes to Muslim countries in attempts to convert them.

    Oh yes Franklin Graham is quite the character.


  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ poppy37


    vicwatson wrote: »
    They are known to send containers of these shoeboxes to Muslim countries in attempts to convert them.

    Oh yes Franklin Graham is quite the character.

    I actually helped out at a team hope warehouse a few years ago checking the boxes in case anything inappropriate was in them( liquids, etc). If the boxes didn’t have enough in them we added hats, copies, colours, sweets etc. We never added religious paraphernalia and fully sealed the boxes with tape afterwards. At no stage did I see religious paraphernalia in the warehouse. I too had heard these stories.

    I still fill the shoeboxes every year, my children, now teenagers have grown up filling them and we keep an eye out all year round for things to put in them. We aim for ten/fifteen boxes each year and put a lot of effort into them.

    I agree the boxes for the homeless are a great idea. Everybody has their own favourite charities and there’s nothing wrong with that. Bumbleance is our other one, a brilliant charity that sadly brought my friend’s little boy home on his angel trip.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭ vicwatson


    Put in before being given to children, or given with at destination


  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ poppy37


    vicwatson wrote: »
    Put in before being given to children, or given with at destination

    Fair enough, I just know they are not in the individual boxes. I’m not religious, only step foot inside a church for funerals, weddings etc.

    I won’t stop doing the boxes though. I still want children from underprivileged backgrounds to benefit from other children’s generosity.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭ vicwatson


    poppy37 wrote: »
    Fair enough, I just know they are not in the individual boxes. I’m not religious, only step foot inside a church for funerals, weddings etc.

    I won’t stop doing the boxes though. I still want children from underprivileged backgrounds to benefit from other children’s generosity.

    Yes, I’ll do them for children that aren’t being evangelised


  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ poppy37


    vicwatson wrote: »
    Yes, I’ll do them for children that aren’t being evangelised

    You’ve made your point. I already told you I am not religious and my children don’t attend mass or any religious services unless weddings funerals etc.

    I am not a regular poster on the Christmas forum. I just check in when I need a pick me up as it’s the happiest place on boards.

    I’m out of this discussion as I think it’s not in the spirit of what the Christmas forum promotes and stands for.

    Enjoy your weekend.


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy


    poppy37 wrote: »
    I am not a regular poster on the Christmas forum. I just check in when I need a pick me up as it’s the happiest place on boards.
    I hope you stick around. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,271 ✭✭✭✭ freshpopcorn


    These are in Dealz!
    73370653_422349208480915_6700982239775162368_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQnQqS0-qtlWfggI9x-uW-0vQv2K98A-5g3oo0feZwgWVDSmfUdvDIy4uHos9OagsXA&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=18761d6c73b28ebad92bd5e22beedb02&oe=5E230058


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ poppy37


    Posy wrote: »
    I hope you stick around. :)

    Aww thanks Posy.

    I love checking in here especially after the clocks go back. I know some people love the long dark evenings but I have to admit I struggle badly with the month of November. The lack of daylight can bring me down and this forum cheers me up no end.

    Thanks for making me feel welcome.


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy


    I'm the same after the clocks go back, it's a good thing there's Christmas to look forward to or I'd have to go into hibernation! :pac:


Advertisement