Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird heating control setup, need advice

Options
  • 23-10-2019 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭

Just had a crew in to install a Nest but they were thwarted by our odd set up, so I'm here for advice.

We have a 2 zone heating system (heating/hot water, glowworm gas boiler, danfoss heating controls). The boiler is in the kitchen downstairs, it has a digital timer control beside it. Upstairs we have the water boiler which according to the guys I just had in has at least one superfluous timer attached (one of the old analogue push pin types). Recently the timer downstairs stopped triggering the heating, I have to turn this on by manually switching the motorised valve. In order to get the nest installed I have to get that last thing sorted, but the guys also recommended getting the extra controls all removed because there'll be conflicting signals and they claimed to have never seen a system wired up so strangely.

I've attached pics of the system as it is, maybe someone can shed some light.

Kitchen gas boiler timer/control panel:
    https://img.fae.ro/232f64.jpeg

Hot press timer panel, switches and other stuff:
    https://img.fae.ro/0f968f.jpeg

Motorised valves x2:
    https://img.fae.ro/898d6d.jpeg

My question is who do I even get to do a job like this? A plumber? Boiler service? Is this a pricey job? The nest installation is paid for through my energy provider so I'd like to try and get this sorted before it gets properly cold. Quite happy to remove anything that the Nest doesn't need to work.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

The 'extra' timer in the hot press is for the immersion. Nothing strange in that.

The danfoss system you have is a wireless 2 channel system, which has a wireless stat for the cylinder.
    There is nothing unusual in your system as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

A decent plumber who understands heating controls would be able to sort that out,its not a strange set up in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Thanks guys, have this post up over on the plumbing forum and they all said the same thing. Any ideas as to why the timer on the gas boiler wouldn't be turning on the central heating?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

Thats a Bog Standard setup you have although not sure about how the heating timer is mounted

WHO were the crew that were thwarted by this they must be very poor if they could not install nest in your system

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Thanks guys, have this post up over on the plumbing forum and they all said the same thing. Any ideas as to why the timer on the gas boiler wouldn't be turning on the central heating?

Turn on your central heating timer, then there is a wireless room stat somewhere in the property, make sure its turned up (and has good batteries) when you do this you should see the CH red light come on on the wireless receiver in your hotpress, then the motorised valve for CH should open, and this in turn switches on (via a mircoswith inside) your boiler.

• Advertisement
Advertisement