Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New website - feedback please

Options
  • 23-10-2019 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello

I have just designed a new website, would appreciate feedback good and bad on the new site.

https://www.ioninsurance.ie

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had a quick look.
    As a joe soap it looks slick.

I like the colouring, font and the use of graphics is appropriate.

Layout seems easy to navigate on my iPhone. And on 3G in rural Cavan it responds quickly.

Good contact information.

Nice work.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NorthDublin1

Hi Brian

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Excellent use of colours.
    Only thing I could suggest is add a little more white-space between elements. Would make it even more sleek ;)

*edit*
    custom wordpress theme?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Nice site - looks clean and easy to navigate. Just jotting down a few quick points...

Contact link is buried down in the footer - no way to contact in the header, no phone number or call to action.

Buttons aren't consistent - you have a rollover on the button in the box to get a quote but don't use rollovers on the other buttons lower down for get a quote - should be the same format throughout so the UX is the same across the website.

Read More on Cookies bar doesnt work - links to a 404

Footer logos look blurry - too much compression or scaled to small and being upscaled.

Insurance provider logos - rollover makes them go colour, no real reason for it as they arent linked so its a confusing UX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Good speed.
    I would prefer a little more contrast in the body font colour, primarily because the font-weight is quite light (I was at an accessibility talk at the weekend so such things are fresh in my head).

For the home insurance quote, can you change the colours in the iframe to match your site colours?

Can all.js file be trimmed in any way? It's 5MB. Minification didn't reduce it much. It's 84% of the page download (travel-insurance/quote).

I see that you are using Contact Form 7. I've found that to slow sites down. I changed to Ninja Forms.

Tiny typo in 404 page:
    "The page you're looking for does not exists on our site."
    exists should be singular, exist.

Aside: I looked in the theme's style.css file (I always do). The Author URI goes to http://www.hilmon.com/ but this does not redirect to http://www.hilmonarts.com/
    The former has a phpinfo.php that I could access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I like the site in general, though I agree about the contrast - I'd change #4c567c to something like #2f3554 and maybe go to 400 font weight. Here's what that looks like compared to the original.

dnlFCN9.png

(hilmonarts.com has a https problem, and you have the same contrast issues in body text there. I'm guess you come from a visual design background?)

Back on ion, one issue is it does look very generic. If that's not deliberate (which it might be for an affiliate site) you could create more of a brandable look by going with a more distinct logo & identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Looks good to me. Easy to read, easy on the eyes. Loads and flows fast.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

It is looking like a very clean site with good color scheme. Did you use WordPress or any other operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Did you use WordPress or any other operating system.
    It is WordPress with a custom theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

daymobrew wrote: »
    It is WordPress with a custom theme.

Then, its looking good but you should add more details and should prolong it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

It has a nice clean look, very easy to understand and to navigate.
    I would bring the three logos up the screen a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I agree with the others, it is a clean site.

Some minor points from me..

Increast contrast on text, some of it fails on accessibility. It takes away from the design slightly to have to do it but its important.

Add some contact/about links in the navigation. Potentially could build a call to action with "How can we help you" then the 3 links for insurance.

Add padding to some of the text elements to improve readability.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

ion in your logo is lowercase but throughout your website you use higher-case Ion. I’d keep it similar throughout for brand consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

From a personal UI experience

The three pages look the same, You have to take a second look to make sure you have switched. The use of the same images over all pages to explain different things is confusing (even if they are different colour).
    Contact us is very small and easy to miss, more and more people are using social media as a contact method, are you going to set up / link to pages

Motor & property insurance – O’Callaghan Insurances T/A Quoteme.ie
    Paul Hudson trading as Magenta Online Marketing

Who runs the site business, to many different names on the site

When on the home page and you click on get car insurance quote rather than bring up the quote form it brings you tcar page and you again have to click on the quote button, a needless click

SEO
    Here im no expert but you should look at a site map and outgoing links for the chamber of commerce etc

Advertisement