Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase Lodger rent

Options
  • 22-10-2019 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I rent a 2 bed and have a Sunday-Friday lodger in the second room. She has a rental agreement with me but not with the landlord i.e I am the sole tenant on the lease. There is nothing in our agreement about increasing her rent. Does the 4% rent increase apply to lodgers? I would like to raise her rent slightly when she has been with me for 1 year but the figure I have in mind is slightly less than 10% ( which would include parking charge per month which she currently doesn't pay).

Comments

She has no rights, you can raise it as much as you want whenever you want with as much notice as you feel like.

You shouldn’t have given her a rental agreement though as she only a house guest not a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 frantastic

I thought it was normal practice to have a written agreement even with a lodger so that's good to know. It was mainly just to cover that I can give her a months notice at any stage! Thanks for the reply and great to know that about the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Careful if you are sub-letting she can request to become a tenant after six months IIRC.

Thanks Samuel, appreciate that.

frantastic wrote: »
    I thought it was normal practice to have a written agreement even with a lodger so that's good to know. It was mainly just to cover that I can give her a months notice at any stage! Thanks for the reply and great to know that about the rent.

Some would say put nothing in writing but if you do call it house rules or something similar so there is no confusion over what it actually is.

• Advertisement

Good idea thanks a mil

Advertisement