Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler only going to a certain temp.

Options
  • 21-10-2019 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭

So now that I have started to use the heating again I have noticed the rads aren’t as warm as usual.
    So I turned up the temperature setting of the boiler and noticed the boiler isn’t climbing above 55c.

55c is just under half way on the temp setting, as in when I turn the dial, the temp setting flashes as the dial is turned and then the reading goes back to actual and it won’t climb above 55c.

I’m pretty sure before when I turn the temp setting to whatever that the boiler would ramp up pretty fast.

It’s a Vokera , and has been serviced regularly, just got a service during the summer, but doesn’t get much use during the year as we have solar for water.
    So I’m only after noticing now their is an issue.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Which model Vokera?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Which model Vokera?

I’ll have a look later when I get home.
    Thanks.

XsApollo wrote: »
    I’ll have a look later when I get home.
    Thanks.

It’s a Vokera Mynute 20HE.

Any advice is appreciated. :-)

If the person servicing it was checking the various items that need to be adjusted in order to check C.O. 2 / C.O. emmissions, they may have left it in the lower range setting by mistake. You will need to get them back out to check it or another RGI familiar with the boiler.

So is there a lower range setting on them you reckon?
    I just got off the phone with Bord Gais as it was serviced through them.

Basically they said on the engineers notes that the fan was performing poorly and low quality boiler but the gas rates and stuff were sound.
    It was fine before that.

They want to charge a repair fee for someone to come out.

• Advertisement

It's when servicing that model you have to check the emissions at both ends of its output, my suspicion is that it may not have been put back to its normal position.
    Is the temperature dial sweeping all the way from left to right?
    Did the technician mention any issue with the fan to you after the service?

Yea the dial goes all the way left and right and the set temperature increases and decreases as it happens and then reverts to actual.
    I wasn’t here when it was serviced, but I didn’t have any reason to suspect anything as it was fine.

Thanks for the replies I’m going to call into a neighbour and see how their boiler behaves with increasing the temperature.
    And go from there.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It's when servicing that model you have to check the emissions at both ends of its output, my suspicion is that it may not have been put back to its normal position.
    Is the temperature dial sweeping all the way from left to right?
    Did the technician mention any issue with the fan to you after the service?

Is it possible for me to have a look at what your talking about.?

Afraid not, because it is interfering with burner / fan controllers it must be an RGI. Preferably one familiar with checking the settings and adjusting if necessary, while at the same time having a flue gas analyser plugged into the boiler to ensure the boiler stays operating within safe parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

You might be able to determine if its "just" temperature limited for whatever by observing the following. Normally, for any given (gas) boiler setpoint, which should be 50C in this case, if the boiler is still producing too much heat at its minimum turndown then the actual temperature will rise to (50+5), 55c and the burner will then cut out and not re fire until the temperature reaches (50-5). 50C. So, if the boiler is cutting out at 55C and restarting at 45C then it means that the setpoint is 50C for some reason or other, not normal.
    I'm assuming its cutting out at 55C but if not then the boiler output may be restricted so if you run it on hot water only you can observe the cut out temperature.

One other thought, is this boiler fitted with outside temperature compensation?.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply,
    The boiler isn’t cutting out, it stays running because the stats around the house are calling for it.
    Just seems it won’t go above 55 and it is pretty slow getting there also.
    Probably talking a minute for a degree increase.
    I’m pretty sure that when I increased the temp before it would start rising pretty quick.

It’s a zoned system with both floors and water control.

I’m gonna have a look at a neighbours today and see the difference in case I’m imagining that part.

I have no idea about the outside temperature compensation.
    I’ll run on hot water only and see how it behaves later.

So just another question for anybody with experience, so on the phone with the guy at Bord gais he wasn’t really sure if I had any recourse.
    Said they would have to setup a repair call and I would be charged.

I asked how do you know the Engineer didn’t leave something set wrong and do I have any recourse.
    So I might get someone to look at it and see what they say and get a report of them and send it to Bord gais with a complaint for a refund ?

Presuming it is something simple like that of course.

You could do.
    But it would then depend on what is found to be the issue by the 2nd technician.
    The boiler may have developed a new fault, but given the service procedure it may be as I suggested earlier, or the fan is faulty as in the report.
    Probably best to have it looked at by an independent RGI.

Advertisement