Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic machine service

Options
  • 20-10-2019 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know of a company in or around Dublin providing service for domestic coffee machines?. I've a nice Sage Barista that's been in non stop use for 2 years, and I'd like it to have a once over.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

ArthurG wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know of a company in or around Dublin providing service for domestic coffee machines?. I've a nice Sage Barista that's been in non stop use for 2 years, and I'd like it to have a once over.

Thanks!

I've had a Gaggia serviced by Kenilworth Electrical in Harold's Cross. Good guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Loads of guides online.

I had/have zero backround in how this stuff works.

That said about two years ago my gaggia classic started leaking like mad.

I rang places like the one in harolds cross which was quoting me €100 or so to look at it. Can’t remember the exact figure tbh but I remember thinking sure I may as well buy a new machine.

Anyway I YouTubed and googled gaggia leak and it looked like it was the ulcea pump gave up (clogged with limescale)

I opened it up, followed some amazing YouTube videos, took out the pump and put in a new one. Old one was riddled with limescale.

Since then I’ve taken the machine apart for cleaning and change the odd part like the gasket seal to ensure it keeps working the way it should.

The biggest killer of machines is definitely limescale so make sure you’re descaling and you should be ok.

Moral of very long story don’t be afraid to get in and at these machines. They’re not that complicated and repairs and maintenance can cost an arm and a leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Anyway I YouTubed and googled gaggia leak and it looked like it was the ulcea pump gave up (clogged with limescale)

I opened it up, followed some amazing YouTube videos, took out the pump and put in a new one. Old one was riddled with limescale.

+ I changed mine (Ulka EP5) a year or two ago, pretty straightforward procedure.

That pump is a sealed unit, did you manage to take it apart to inspect the innards? Only threw my old one in the bin a few weeks ago so can't check but IIRC it didn't look like it was designed to be dismantled

coylemj wrote: »
    + I changed mine (Ulka EP5) a year or two ago, pretty straightforward procedure.

That pump is a sealed unit, did you manage to take it apart to inspect the innards? Only threw my old one in the bin a few weeks ago so can't check but IIRC it didn't look like it was designed to be dismantled

Didn’t bother looking to take it apart tbh. Part wasn’t that expensive so just replaced it a fired the old one in the bin. Worked a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Didn’t bother looking to take it apart tbh. Part wasn’t that expensive so just replaced it a fired the old one in the bin. Worked a charm.

If you didn't take it apart, how could you tell that the old pump was 'riddled with limescale'? Mine just failed, I'm pretty sure it wasn't clogged up with limescale because I live in a soft water area but descale once a year just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Moral of very long story don’t be afraid to get in and at these machines. They’re not that complicated and repairs and maintenance can cost an arm and a leg.

Commercial like machine made to last years.... They are easy to take apart , parts are all over the eBay. Amazon etc.
    Different story if you bought Delonghi ,Sage etc ..

coylemj wrote: »
    If you didn't take it apart, how could you tell that the old pump was 'riddled with limescale'? Mine just failed, I'm pretty sure it wasn't clogged up with limescale because I live in a soft water area but descale once a year just in case.

Well it was clogged and causing water to not flow so I’m assuming it was clogged and the research I did online would suggest that the likelihood is it was limescale. We live in a VERY bad area for limescale so it would make sense.

I descale once a quarter normally now but at that time I wasn’t descaling at all so again would suggest build up would be a very probable cause.

alec76 wrote: »
    Commercial like machine made to last years.... They are easy to take apart , parts are all over the eBay. Amazon etc.
    Different story if you bought Delonghi ,Sage etc ..

Not a lot going on in a Gaggia Classic. Loads of people online with fixes, maintenance etc.

Advertisement