Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warm flue gas in condensate trap

Options
  • 20-10-2019 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Was giving the boiler condensate trap a bit of a clean this evening in the garage. Took it off while the boiler was running (and condensing, 65 flow 50 return). When I shone the torch at the condensate pipe there was warm gas coming from the pipe.
    Is this normal? When the system is assembled the condensate pipe goes out through a wall so I'm not concerned about monoxide in the garage.

Thanks,

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭jimf

yes its normal

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Thanks Jim!

just to add the level of co from the condensate will depend on how well the boiler is set up

so not advisable to run boiler without trap fitted

Someone set it up last year with a new nozzle and the FGA showed 12co2 and bugger all co...so hopefully it's still good.

Gave it a hoover out and clean today too, the condensate trap was just removed for the cleaning.

Had to turn the main thermostat on the boiler down a bit to get the return under 55 degrees, but all good apart from that!

Ken

12% co 2 must be a grant vortex so

a good boiler best on the market me thinks

• Advertisement

Spot on!

Plenty of heat from it, 120/155 into a 300l water tank and 17 radiators. It was running 75 flow 60 return, but I balanced the radiators today and dropped the output temperature to 70 to allow for 55 return. I'm broke so need every percent of efficiency it can get!

Whoever installed it put in a huge outside air flue too.

Only niggle is the baffles can't be put in the way the manual shows. It shows the top three being identical, and the bottom three being identical. One out of the top and one out of the bottom are a reverse of each other, so the cutouts on the middle baffle are on the wrong side.

Im sure it doesn't matter much though

the huge outside flue is probably a plume kit

manual shows baffles as you described above 3 of same top and bottom as they are in the primary exchanger the heat still has to pass through the secondary heat exchanger I wouldn't think it will make much difference to the overall performance

is your house zoned that's a big output boiler factory set at 142k btu

Advertisement