Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains Pump to Boost Water Pressure

Options
  • 19-10-2019 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

We currently have an Ebara AGE-050-M pump on our mains water. This was installed about 15 years ago and its main purpose was to boost the mains pressure to feed the water dispenser on a Fridge/Freezer and the main sink in the kitchen. I live in North County Dublin and the water pressure is notoriously poor.

About two years ago, there was a water shut off and the pump kept running to the point where it made a screeching noise. I'm guessing the pressure switch failed and the pump is now knackered. We haven't used it since.

I'm now looking at replacing it. I had a look at the possibility of a new motor, but the Ebara pumps don't seem very common and it's an obsolete model at this stage.

Is there anything else that you'd recommend? It's not needed to improve pressure in the whole house, just the pressure on the downstairs sink and fridge.

I was looking at something like this:

https://www.craigmoreonline.ie/draper-64987-55l-min-booster-pump-800w

This is a similar looking pump with an expansion tank. The pipework may need to be adjusted, but I'm ok with taking that on.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Tropheus wrote:
    There's also this. Not sure how they work without an expansion tank.

This is a brilliant mains booster pump. It's close to half the Irish price there on screwfix BUT it is a UK pump and not an Irish pump. Despite the .ie part it is a UK pump. It has no Irish warranty at all. At half of the Irish price though it might be worth buying even without the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

are these pumps not against regs unless fitted to a break tank ie not connected directly to mains

xl500 wrote: »
    are these pumps not against regs unless fitted to a break tank ie not connected directly to mains

No. These fit onto the mains coming into the house & the agents here, MT Agencies, assure us that they meet Irish regs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Is there a minimum water pressure required for these to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    No. These fit onto the mains coming into the house & the agents here, MT Agencies, assure us that they meet Irish regs

These may be in accordance with the regulations, but they still require the permission of Irish Water to fit, surely? They say they may grant permission where the flow is less than 10l/minute and for greater than that, there needs to be a break tank. (I am looking at the Dublin bye-laws and at the developer documentation from Irish Water. )

All I can say is that these are designed to be fitted directly to the mains and designed the comply with the building regulations in Ireland and the UK. Mt Agencies say that they investigated the regs and they fully comply. They are only 1.6 bar pumps. It boosts the flow rate to a maximum of 12 lpm. This will only boost the water when the pressure is low. Hook this to good pressure /flow and the pump doesn't do anything. It won't kick in until the flow rate drops to something like 6 lmp or so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

All I can say is that these are designed to be fitted directly to the mains and designed the comply with the building regulations in Ireland and the UK. Mt Agencies say that they investigated the regs and they fully comply. They are only 1.6 bar pumps. It boosts the flow rate to a maximum of 12 lpm. This will only boost the water when the pressure is low. Hook this to good pressure /flow and the pump doesn't do anything. It won't kick in until the flow rate drops to something like 6 lmp or so.
    Probably suck the water our of neighbours washing machine. eek

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Probably suck the water our of neighbours washing machine. eek

Added bonus as they don’t like the fact that we have kids that play in their own garden.

Just had a look at the spec for the fridge. 1.6 bar is close to the minimum pressure required.

Any other options that would give higher pressure?

• Advertisement

Tropheus wrote:
    Just had a look at the spec for the fridge. 1.6 bar is close to the minimum pressure required.

I would think 1.6 bar would be plenty. Im assuming the minimum is 1.5 bar?

There is a Stuart Turner Flomate 3bar & again it will only boost up to 12 lpm.

I would think 1.6 bar would be plenty. Im assuming the minimum is 1.5 bar?

There is a Stuart Turner Flomate 3bar & again it will only boost up to 12 lpm.

Yes, min seems to be 1.5 bar.

Tropheus wrote:
    Yes, min seems to be 1.5 bar.

1.6 would be perfect then imo

Advertisement