Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port first (to VOIP) or End landline contract first?

Options
  • 18-10-2019 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Currently with Eir but have given the required 30 days notice to avoid an early exit penalty.

Not sure about instructing VOIP company to port me before I'm finished with Eir as that might be deemed an early exit.

Will porting be more difficult when I temporarily have no landline account with any network?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Currently with Eir but have given the required 30 days notice to avoid an early exit penalty.

Not sure about instructing VOIP company to port me before I'm finished with Eir as that might be deemed an early exit.

Will porting be more difficult when I temporarily have no landline account with any network?

My advice would be to port before hand as you risk losing the number otherwise. Porting the number and ceasing a service are two different things. i.e. porting your number from Eir is not deemed as an early exit, just the landline won't receive calls for that number anymore.

Just note that if you have DSL broadband on that landline you may lose the service when the number ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you wish to retain your number you must port before the contract ends or risk losing the number.

I know it should not happen ......

Arrange with new provider to attempt the port one day before end of contract. It will take a day to do it, and maybe more, depending on your provider.

Advertisement