Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscrea Premier Limousin Sale 28th of Oct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm hoping to go, for a look anyway. The UK buyers have been very thin on the ground in recent years. Every now and then you will get buyers from other countries too. There were a few there from Spain a few years back.
    I'd expect it to be a difficult sale. But then again farmers flock there in the hope of a bargain. Buy at the bottom of the curve, as they say. It's the walk when everyone else is running.

There is a heifer selling there who is a half sister (same Dam) to my best cow. I'd be half looking at her, with my hands in my pocket.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭High bike

I'm hoping to go, for a look anyway. The UK buyers have been very thin on the ground in recent years. Every now and then you will get buyers from other countries too. There were a few there from Spain a few years back.
    I'd expect it to be a difficult sale. But then again farmers flock there in the hope of a bargain. Buy at the bottom of the curve, as they say. It's the walk when everyone else is running.

There is a heifer selling there who is a half sister (same Dam) to my best cow. I'd be half looking at her, with my hands in my pocket.
    bet you'll still bring the box Patsy , just in case likeðŸ˜

High bike wrote: »
    bet you'll still bring the box Patsy , just in case likeðŸ˜

No box, no cheque book and baling twine to tie my hands together.;)

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

might go for a nosey myself but won't be tempted either

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'd say there'll be a lot like you, we'll all sit up in the back row. I am a bit surprised they have so many bulls on offer, sure there's hardly that many autumn calving suckler herds left in the country.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Actually the autumn sale is usually the best. Lads like to have the bull bought in and well settled and to go come spring time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

It's supposed to be a "premier" sale, the best of the best, 130 bulls is far too many but they don't want to turn anyones bull away.
    I'd expect a very tough trade.

There was 8,700 registered in 2018, so 130 bulls is only a tiny fraction.

Bull sale doesn't seem to be going too well looking at the limousin society twitter.

Anyone at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

tanko wrote: »
    Bull sale doesn't seem to be going too well looking at the limousin society twitter.

Anyone at it?

From what I see on Twitter good bulls are making money and others seem to be around the mid 2000s. Big gaps in the lots that are being sold though

• Advertisement

A limousin breeder told me last year that he reckoned it cost him a grand to bring two bulls to Roscrea who he added it all up, accommodation etc.
    He didn't sell them there, sold them at home later on.
    Can't be much profit in those bulls sold for €2,000 - €2,500.

I was at it. Got there kinda late and missed the first few selling. A tough sale considering that over 40 bulls were a no-show. A hard struggle for even the well known breeders to sell. Still, the odd few made good money, so they will grab the headlines.
    First Goldies Jackpot bull I saw not sold, no bid. Second one sold for €2,300. Third €6k, reserve champion. 4th no bid. 5th bid 2,500 no sale. 6th no bid. 7th 2,400. Minimum bid was €2,200. He seems to be breeding heavy boned, big volume bulls and not that muscley.

Heifers were susprisingly good. Most sold. The half sister to my own cow sold for €2,400

I was at it. Got there kinda late and missed the first few selling. A tough sale considering that over 40 bulls were a no-show. A hard struggle for even the well known breeders to sell. Still, the odd few made good money, so they will grap the headlines.
    First Goldies Jackpot bull I saw not sold, no bid. Second one sold for €2,300. Third €6k, reserve champion. 4th no bid. 5th bid 2,500 no sale. 6th no bid. 7th 2,400. Minimum bid was €2,200. He seems to be breeding heavy boned, big volume bulls and not that muscley.

Heifers were susprisingly good. Most sold. The half sister to my own cow sold for €2,400
    didnt get there myself Patsy what did the jackpot heifers make?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I was at it. Got there kinda late and missed the first few selling. A tough sale considering that over 40 bulls were a no-show. A hard struggle for even the well known breeders to sell. Still, the odd few made good money, so they will grab the headlines.

do you know what McInerney's heifers made ? saw them at a show during the year and kinda liked them

mate of mine sold a bull for €4000, but didn't hang around

we were away for a few days and took adavantage of the fine day to catch up on a bit of dosing & moving stock etc,

didnt get there myself Patsy what did the jackpot heifers make?

Only 2 offered for sale. Both from the Drummin herd (John McInerney).
    Lot 182 - no sale
    lot 183 champion - €5,700

Only 2 offered for sale. Both from the Drummin herd (John McInerney).
    Lot 182 - no sale
    lot 183 champion - €5,700
    the 183 one looked a nice heifer on paper,she’s a half twin to another heifer

the 183 one looked a nice heifer on paper,she’s a half twin to another heifer

Ya, a nice heifer. Some serious bargains today. Saw a fine Gigolo heifer sell for €2,200. Funny how people like different things in an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Ya, a nice heifer. Some serious bargains today. Saw a fine Gigolo heifer sell for €2,200. Funny how people like different things in an animal.

Seems to have been value alright. Am in market for 1 or 2 but thought it be expensive given that it's the flagship sale. Might try tuam at end of nov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mac Taylor wrote: »

By the looks of the result sheet I'd say 50 bulls sold.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Same as me, a few very average bulls there. A good few bulls would be sold for more in the yard. If you put the expense of going to one of them sales it's hard to see it worth while going to them. Friend of mine bought a cracker of an eligan heifer for 2400 that her?

Same as me, a few very average bulls there. A good few bulls would be sold for more in the yard. If you put the expense of going to one of them sales it's hard to see it worth while going to them. Friend of mine bought a cracker of an eligan heifer for 2400 that her?

The min bid of €2,200 is way too high. They should reduce it to €1,800. What suckler farmer in Ireland can pay €5k for a bull. All these reports then of high prices put off the ordinary farmer. The place wasn't exactly packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

a good few of the unsold bulls on donedeal today went to see one of them, what will these lads do when they aren't getting the money they are asking.

Anyone go the Tullow Pedigree Limousin sale? I see only 5 prices up on twitter from a catalogue of 21. Not good.

https://twitter.com/irishlimousin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Will this years sale go ahead with way things are with covid

adne wrote: »
    Will this years sale go ahead with way things are with covid

Covid guidelines for the sale.
    https://www.irishlimousin.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Guidelines-October-Premier-Sale-.pdf

Advertisement