Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese restaurant

Options
  • 17-10-2019 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking to purchase a gift for a family member who very much enjoys Japanese food, which Japanese restaurant would be the best in the Dublin area? For the experience as a whole and quality of the food! Very much enjoyed Ichigo Ichie in Cork, so something similar!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not sure about the best but Eatokyo on the Quays is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Lemonee_ wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking to purchase a gift for a family member who very much enjoys Japanese food, which Japanese restaurant would be the best in the Dublin area? For the experience as a whole and quality of the food! Very much enjoyed Ichigo Ichie in Cork, so something similar!

Thanks in advance!

Dublin hasn't got a Japanese restaurant of the quality of Ichigo Ichie unfortunately.

Musashi for sushi, it has been the benchmark for a long time.
    Fudo Izakya is new and the sushi is very nice.

For Ramen
    The Ramen bar or the Ramen kitchen. Probably start with the ramen bar
    In dun laoghaire there is a place called Soup Ramen, its outstanding. The ramen and deep fried kimchi are unreal.

There is a new yakitori pop-up called sticks, though I havent been to it. The reviews and pictures are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,316 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sushi masterclass at Banyi in Temple Bar maybe?
    http://www.banyijapanesedining.com/sushi-masterclass-dublin.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I like Eatokyo, especially if you can get the seat at window looking out onto the quays. Musashi is consistently good.

Not a huge fan of Ramen Bar, must try Soup Ramen soon, heard great things. Sisu Izakaya on Stephen St has nice ramen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Sisu Izakaya is good for food and atmosphere, nearly all Japanese staff too - menu could be bigger though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,067 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

pm1977x wrote: »
    Sisu Izakaya is good for food and atmosphere, nearly all Japanese staff too - menu could be bigger though.

I was there 2 months ago, was all chinese staff?
    Fudo izakaya on little mary st is run by the same people as well

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lemonee_

Thank you all for the quick replies, very helpful! Think I might go with Sisu Izakaya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Yamamori on Georges Street has to be in contention for consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Yeah, nothing on the same level as the place in cork, but musashi is good and not too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Dublin hasn't got a Japanese restaurant of the quality of Ichigo Ichie unfortunately.

Musashi for sushi, it has been the benchmark for a long time.
    Fudo Izakya is new and the sushi is very nice.

For Ramen
    The Ramen bar or the Ramen kitchen. Probably start with the ramen bar
    In dun laoghaire there is a place called Soup Ramen, its outstanding. The ramen and deep fried kimchi are unreal.

There is a new yakitori pop-up called sticks, though I havent been to it. The reviews and pictures are great.

The first (?) Japanese restaurant was near Black Rock or thereabouts afaik. In the days before ubiquitous sushi - it certainly held its own. I remember eating there and the food was sublime...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Another vote for Musashi

Quality at good prices

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's a fusion restaurant (Japanese, Spain, South American), but Taste at Rustic is pretty good, if a little expensive. The cocktails in the Bonsai Bar are amazing though, the NuTengu Old Fashioned is worth the trip alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Yamamori. The one overlooking the river

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

gozunda wrote: »
    The first (?) Japanese restaurant was near Black Rock or thereabouts afaik. In the days before ubiquitous sushi - it certainly held its own. I remember eating there and the food was sublime...

Im a blow in to the area, only here a few years but it could have been michie sushi in Dun Laoghaire? Its not bad at all.

Fudo Izakaya is closing already, there are not open long at all. I'll miss the crispy prawn rolls. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

+1 for Yamamori on the quays.
    Musashi is a bit cheaper but doesn't have the same ambiance.
    Banyi Temple bar is lovely for sushi but the decor isn't high end at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,067 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Im a blow in to the area, only here a few years but it could have been michie sushi in Dun Laoghaire? Its not bad at all.

Fudo Izakaya is closing already, there are not open long at all. I'll miss the crispy prawn rolls. :(

Seriously? Its barely been open 3 months. Was a cool little spot and the sushi was decent

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No it was called Ayumi Ya - closer to Blackrock. It closed in the mid nineties. There was another of the same in the city centre after the first restaurant closed.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/man-with-a-mission-1.172488

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

gozunda wrote: »
    No it was called Ayumi Ya - closer to Blackrock. It closed in the mid nineties. There was another of the same in the city centre after the first restaurant closed.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/man-with-a-mission-1.172488

The one in town was called Aya and was replaced by Yo Sushi.

I can remember a lunch there once that started at 1pm and finished at 8pm when they needed the table for dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Tippenyaki In rathmines is really nice! If you book at the chefs grill the chefs entertain you as they cook the food! Waiters do a bit of singing too it’s actually a nice night out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is J2 on the quays near the IFSC still going?
    Been a while since I've been there, but always enjoyed it.

Have a chef's counter reservation in Ichigoo Ichi next week and honestly cannot wait to get mucked in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

IRE60 wrote: »
    Yamamori on Georges Street has to be in contention for consideration

was wondering if there was a reason it hadn't been mentioned, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I second Banyi in Temple Bar. No-fuss Japanese restaurant with all the favourites. It's not Japanese run as far as I'm aware, but then again, I don't let it bother me if a pizza chef isn't Italian when enjoying an authentic Italian style pizza. The food is of good quality - the rolls especially.

Taste on George's street is more upmarket, and they have a genuine bone-fide Japanese sushi chef. Probably worth it if you're gunning for the 'experience' side of things. As pointed out, the menu is on the fusion end of thing, so not strictly a 100 percent Japanese restaurant.

Nothing in Dublin to touch Ichigo Ichie and Miyazaki in Cork though. A clear win for the Leesiders on the Japanese nosh front.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is Yamamori on the quays back open for lunch does anyone know ? It’s been closed since around feb due to building works for lunch

Advertisement