Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caterpillar tunnel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭macraignil

The poly-tunnels in the picture look like the one I have at the moment but I never called it a caterpillar tunnel. The one I have is probably a bit shorter and I don't think it was designed to be mobile so maybe it is something different. The dimensions of the hoops are the same but I can't help as to where to get them as they were collected years ago by the girlfriends Da when somebody living nearby was looking to get rid of them. I compensated for the lack of height by digging a trench down the middle so I can walk the length of the tunnel without stooping. The hoops were making up part of a fence between his garden and a field before I went to use it. It was easy enough to find someone to get the poly-tunnel plastic from. The steal hoops are simple enough so should be somewhere to get them and was talking to a couple of people who had ones they were not using anymore. No experience with any of the suppliers on this done deal page. Got a good crop of grapes, raspberry and strawberries again this year and there is fennel and parsley growing all over since they self seeded. Also got loads of courgettes again this year but have not bothered with tomatoes since they failed a few years back when blight spread really fast due to the humidity being too high. I tend to leave both ends open since then so no problem with ventilation but then the temperature does drop a bit at times so it's not ideal for more delicate crops. My lemon tree did not make it through the winter a couple of years back. The raspberry crop was accidental since they made their own way into the tunnel from plants I had outside near by but the fruit in the tunnel are much sweeter and more productive than the out door ones. I got one of those leaky pipes for watering so just plug in the pipe to a tap in the summer and leave things dry out a bit and get water from the surrounding soil in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Its another half-arsed version of a polytunnel. Doubt it would survive the first gust of wind.
    Just save up for a proper one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

recedite wrote: »
    Its another half-arsed version of a polytunnel. Doubt it would survive the first gust of wind.
    Just save up for a proper one.

Saw them in use on a commercial smallholding in Sweden on a tube channel. Look fairly sturdy...and moveable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

moveable...
    ...gust of wind :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Got a polycarbonate tunnel from a guy in Langford find it a great job the storms weve had didn't do a thing to it seems a sturdier job than a polytunnel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Here you go.

https://youtu.be/u79tiVcj8bY

It's just behind him in the opening minutes

Advertisement