Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for city cycling

Options
  • 13-10-2019 3:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

Last time I rode a bike, I was a kid and using footpaths was ok.

I see cyclists now and they use the roads. Is there anything I should know now before taking off on a bicycle?

I take it, I follow much the same rules as cars?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're thinking of commuting in the city, one of the first things to do is plan your route. you are very likely to find that the best or most enjoyable option is not the direct one.
    as a cyclist, you are bound to the road traffic laws; they're pretty much identical to the laws motorists have to obey, with some exceptions for cyclists. cycling on the footpath is against the law, but many cyclists do it because often the road infrastructure is inadequate, and the chances of actually being fined for it is pretty much zero.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

if you're thinking of commuting in the city, one of the first things to do is plan your route. you are very likely to find that the best or most enjoyable option is not the direct one.
    as a cyclist, you are bound to the road traffic laws; they're pretty much identical to the laws motorists have to obey, with some exceptions for cyclists. cycling on the footpath is against the law, but many cyclists do it because often the road infrastructure is inadequate, and the chances of actually being fined for it is pretty much zero.

Thanks very much for this. Is there such a thing as ROTR for cyclists?

Do cyclists use roundabouts? I never came across a cyclist using a roundabout but it seems very time consuming to be getting of the bike and walking with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Section 17 of the ROTR (PDF) is dedicated to cyclists. Part of that covers roundabouts too.

More in depth details of legislation rather than the RSA's interpretation is covered in the Irish Cycling Legislation thread.

Section 17 of the ROTR (PDF) is dedicated to cyclists. Part of that covers roundabouts too.

More in depth details of legislation rather than the RSA's interpretation is covered in the Irish Cycling Legislation thread.

Great thanks, I need to go over the ROTR for cyclists and give that thread a read before heading out on a bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Do cyclists use roundabouts? I never came across a cyclist using a roundabout
    cyclists use roundabout all the time.

• Advertisement

cyclists use roundabout all the time.

Thanks.I need to get out and practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Never ever pass a large moving vehicle on the left near a junction, they have a massive blind spot on that side.
    You have as much right to be on the road as any other vehicle so hold your position and don't ride in the gutter, this will force drivers to wait until it is safe before overtaking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Anywhere where the lane is so narrow that an overtaking vehicle would make you feel uncomfortable, move out to take up a line far enough out from the verge so as to block those sorts of overtakes.

Never do any manueuvre like changing your line without checking over your shoulder first.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The pros:
    Speed limits do not apply
    Technically its legal to use your phone (DONT)
    There's no prescribed limit for blood alcohol (DONT)

The cons:
    A lot of the RPU are petrol heads and will instantly give the driver the benefit of the doubt if they mangle you. Bonne chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

tuxy wrote: »
    Never ever pass a large moving vehicle on the left near a junction, they have a massive blind spot on that side.
    I'd go further and say don't pass a large moving vehicle on the left at all. Especially buses that are likely to pull in frequently.

Don't feel you have to use cycle lanes: you don't, and a lot of them are completely unsuitable, poorly designed and dangerous. On the other hand, well-designed ones can be excellent. This comes back to knowing your route.

Keep a car door's width out from parked cars so you don't get hit if someone opens one without looking.

Get a good set of lights and use them when it's dark.

As when you're in a car, expect everyone else on the road to behave like a total eejit and you won't be surprised when they do. Then add in a bit of needless anti-cyclist aggression.

Remember that you are not in the way of traffic, you are traffic. You have a right to be on the road. And in a city choked with cars, even a slow-moving cyclist is not the cause of anyone being delayed.

Despite all this: enjoy it! You're getting air in your lungs, great exercise, headspace, and in a city it's nearly always a lot faster than driving :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Unless you're still a confident cyclist start small around your area. Don't just necessarily plan your commute and head out on the morning. It can be a bit daunting cycling in rush hour traffic if you haven't done it in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

If commuting, commit now to getting your gear game down. Figure out how you are continue to do it in the foulest of mornings by having your wet gear or changeable sport gear and in work shower or towel plan ahead of time.

Bikes out there are mostly similar, but everyone has a different wet day, bad weather clothes technique that works for them because of their commute length, office changing situation, price sensitivity and personal preferences.

When all the roads fail around you in the worst of winter weather, you will still be peddling home comfortably and not sitting on a bus in some roundup snarlup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Don't cycle along Luas lines. Liable to have a nasty accident if caught in track. Especially if a bus/ tram/car is behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Make a habit of looking over your shoulder as much as possible to see what's going on behind you, especially anytime you're deviating off the line you are cycling in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Assume everyone is out to get you (pedestrians, cyclists, motorists, bus drivers and IMO worst of all, taxi drivers)
    You will encounter agressive road users, don't let them get to you - better off giving them a friendly wave and smile than getting into a shouting argument.
    Lights - front and rear - the more you look like a Christmas tree, the better.
    A helmet goes without saying!

Know everything that is going on around you. What is traffic in front doing? What are the pedestrians about to do? What's going on behind you? etc.

I would also suggest get some practive in before you attempt to take on the city. When approaching red traffic lights, get used to choosing the correct gear for starting off in. Choose a suitable position for setting off (in front or behind traffic - depending on teh circumstances.
    Be conscious that all vehicles will have blind spots. Make yourself visible.
    Be careful of not getting sandwiched between traffic e.g. two busses. Never take a chance with something bigger than you!

Use bus lanes when you can but don't assume that some knob in a car will tear up behind you - they will. Don't trust the cycle lanes around the city. You are just as entitled to use the road as a car or bus so use it when you feel that you should. As per the rules of the road - it is recommended to take the lane of traffic (pg 54 of the updated ROTR)

I'd also recommend having a pump and spare tube for when the inevitable happens. Maybe also a pair of latex gloves just to keep the hands clean when changing a tyre (do a tyre change at home before you travel far so you know how to do it - loads of instruction videos on Youtube!).
    Rain gear is highly advised - somehting that you can keep folded up neatly in your bag when not in use!
    I'd also recommend a pair of shoe covers to keep your feet dry.

Make sure that you have two good locks for when you want to lock the bike in a public place. be careful about leaving anything attached to the bike (lights, electronics, pump, etc.).

Despite all the warnings above, there's nothing like the warm smug feeling you get when you pass a long queue of traffic with relative ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I just received a copy of Cyclecraft in the mail, I bought it for my wife who is starting to get into cycling. I've had a quick scan through it and I'm going to read it myself also. Looks like a great book for anyone who cycles for transport.

I've resumed cycling a lot in the last month or two having last habitually cycled to work maybe three years ago. I find that drivers are a lot more aware than I remember and that 90% of drivers are very courteous and give you space. It's important to cycle defensively and take the whole lane for your own safety when necessary.

I second the advice about your route. This is certainly the most important thing to focus on. Do your best to avoid classic ****ty situations for cyclists (the quays in Dublin, having to turn right across multiple lanes, roundabouts, Luas tracks, roads with lots of large vehicles on. Not always possible but it makes a big big difference to the safety and enjoyment of your commute if you avoid these things.

Remember you are commuting, it's not the tour de france. Take it easy. Just like in a car going fast means you aren't ready for the unexpected, and as a cyclist you will learn that a small but real minority of motorists don't think you really count so are happy to pull out in front of you etc. Speed won't save you much time anyway unless you are on a long commute from outside the city.

When you get to lights don't insist on riding up to the top of the queue. Wait where you are. Don't wriggle up the inside of cars in a way that will leave you in an awkward position (ie having to merge into a narrow lane) when the traffic starts moving.

Also agree about going up the left of large vehicles, just don't unless it is absolutely clear you will get ahead of them before they start moving.

Assume everyone else is an idiot and anticipate accordingly.

And last remember cycling isn't actually that dangerous if you know what you are doing. It's good for you and in Dublin comfortably the best way to get around the city.

Advertisement