Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clarification on Foreign Subs - need a

• 13-10-2019 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone

Im wondering about getting a subscription for a Foreign Satellite service, probably Canal+ Polsat - pretty much only for the football although happy to receive other stations

first Question - is this legal? obviously il be paying for it but its a grey area as far as i can see

second question - is it the right choice - canal polsat is on hotbird but i have a new multi sat set up so there are other options

Set up

Technomate tm-2T

Dish - 1 Meter

Centered on 13E Hotbird

4.8 - 7 -9/10 - 13 - 16 - 19 - 23.5

4.8 - stable weak

7 - Weak for TRT Sports 2 and 3

9 - Stable

13 - Powerful stable

16 - Seems weak but relatively stable

19 - Unbelievably stable strongest signal

23 - Stable albeit weak in heavy rain

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

liamtech wrote: »

first Question - is this legal? obviously il be paying for it but its a grey area as far as i can see

Why do think it is not legal?

Are you an individual or a business?

Are you planning on public display or just you watching at home?

second question - is it the right choice - canal polsat is on hotbird but i have a new multi sat set up so there are other options

What football do you want to watch?

Just Premier League or other countries?

Im wondering about getting a subscription for a Foreign Satellite service, probably Canal+ Polsat - pretty much only for the football although happy to receive other stations

Set up

Technomate tm-2T

Dish - 1 Meter

Centered on 13E Hotbird

Can that card be read in that receiver or does it need a cam or a configuration?

Set up

Technomate tm-2T

Dish - 1 Meter

Centered on 13E Hotbird

4.8 - 7 -9/10 - 13 - 16 - 19 - 23.5

4.8 - stable weak

7 - Weak for TRT Sports 2 and 3

9 - Stable

13 - Powerful stable

16 - Seems weak but relatively stable

19 - Unbelievably stable strongest signal

23 - Stable albeit weak in heavy rain

What do you mean by "centred on" 13e, is it motorised? If so, it should be set up / aligned for 1W and then go from there.

Other providers are available

Have you looked at say Lj's for what channels / providers may suit your viewing needs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭liamtech

abarkie wrote: »
    Why do think it is not legal?

Are you an individual or a business?

Are you planning on public display or just you watching at home?

What football do you want to watch?

Just Premier League or other countries?

Can that card be read in that receiver or does it need a cam or a configuration?

What do you mean by "centred on" 13e, is it motorised? If so, it should be set up / aligned for 1W and then go from there.

Other providers are available

Have you looked at say Lj's for what channels / providers may suit your viewing needs?

il try and answer the questions as discussed

1. im an individual i have no business or public venue - just a regular guy

2. prefer to have access to the premier league (EFL) - would be interested in access to the bundesliga, serie A and la liga - but the priority is the premier league -

3. my dish is not motorized it is a 1 meter dish with several lnb's, set up for the various satellites listed in my OP

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

il try and answer the questions as discussed

1. im an individual i have no business or public venue - just a regular guy

2. prefer to have access to the premier league (EFL) - would be interested in access to the bundesliga, serie A and la liga - but the priority is the premier league -

3. my dish is not motorized it is a 1 meter dish with several lnb's, set up for the various satellites listed in my OP

Should be ok as long you find a reputable buyer for NC card

You may need a cam

Do let us know how you get on

Motorised would give you more options / flexibility as there are sometimes feeds on 7e,10e,28.2e and 15w,3w amongst others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭JMcL

Canal+ is available on 19E with a TNTSat box and card. The card will only work in an official box - if put into say an Enigma 2 box, the card will brick (this is based on my research a year ago so not sure it anything has changed. The cards need replaced every 4 years @€;15 and you'll need a French address or take a chance and pay over the odds off eBay. There're also a load of German FTA channels available on 19E, which I'd imagine will carry at least some matches

Fransat on 5W have the reputation of being more generous in what they'll work with - there's a module available that'll work with Linux boxes I believe though haven't tried it myself. However, it looks like they don't do Canal+ - they're listing BeIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I bought an NC card in August. My original plan was to top up a previously utilised but long expired Cyfra card, but (problem 1!) it had been expired too long and I was told nothing could be done with it.

Second step, I bought a new NC card and paired CAM. You could also buy a paired receiver. But (problem 2), I initially couldn't decrypt channels in the CI slot or in the CAM slot on my Gigablue receiver.

I eventually figured out that this was a CI+ issue, as the CAM supplied with NC cards is CI+ and my linux box doesn't do that by default. When I put the CAM and card directly into my Sony tv (and connected the dish directly to tv) all the channels opened straight away.

I have a work around now, after messing with a few images and the CAM settings and all is working well. I have a pretty basic package, but with Canal Sport channels, Eurosport etc. Some of the film channels have English audio as an option as do Fox comedy and some documentary ones.

For some reason I was getting Polsat Sport Premium channels as well for a bit, which I hadn't paid for. I presume it was some form of a free trial, but I appreciated it for multi choice Champions/Europa league games. I might consider adding that or Eleven Sports in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

JMcL wrote: »
    Canal+ is available on 19E with a TNTSat box and card. The card will only work in an official box - if put into say an Enigma 2 box, the card will brick (this is based on my research a year ago so not sure it anything has changed. The cards need replaced every 4 years @€;15 and you'll need a French address or take a chance and pay over the odds off eBay. There're also a load of German FTA channels available on 19E, which I'd imagine will carry at least some matches

Fransat on 5W have the reputation of being more generous in what they'll work with - there's a module available that'll work with Linux boxes I believe though haven't tried it myself. However, it looks like they don't do Canal+ - they're listing BeIN.

This is the French Canal+. He is talking about getting the Polish version which has premier league.

I used to have a subscription for the Polish version on a Cyfra+ card years ago. This has since become NC+.

CS followed by IPTV has made this pretty redundant now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭JMcL

recyclebin wrote: »
    This is the French Canal+. He is talking about getting the Polish version which has premier league.

Ah, apologies. I didn't read the OP closely enough

Advertisement