Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Species of hedge?

Options
  • 12-10-2019 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

I want to extend a hedge with the same species which is already there. I've attached a photo.

Would anyone happen to know the name of this type of hedge? The leaves have a waxy feel to them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bay laurel?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Smythe

Thanks - I've had a look for images of Bay Laurel and it certainly looks very similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was thinking of laurel at first too, but does bay laurel have leaves like that? how big are the leaves?
    possibly escallonia?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's euonymus japonicus

how big are the leaves?

The largest are ~7cm long by 3.5cm - 4.0cm wide

• Advertisement

It's euonymus japonicus

Thanks - that looks to be it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euonymus_japonicus

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Euonymus japonicus and escallonia leaves are very similar, almost too similar to judge just on the leaves. I would have said from the general look of it it was escallonia, does it have flowers?

Edit, just seen the reference to the leaf size, yes that's a bit big for escallonia alright.

looksee wrote: »
    does it have flowers?

I don't believe I've ever noticed it flower.

Does one of these species flower and the other not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,987 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Escallonia flowers, euonmyous not. That actually looks more like Euonymous to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

100% Euonymus japonicus. Euonymus j does flower but not that spectacularly https://plantsam.com/euonymus-japonicus/

• Advertisement
Advertisement