Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday during the recruitment process

Options
  • 11-10-2019 5:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

I have completed an assessment and waiting to hear back for an interview. Am I going to blow my chance of an interview if they ask me to attend for an interview during my holiday? What do I choose, interview or holiday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I have completed an assessment and waiting to hear back for an interview. Am I going to blow my chance of an interview if they ask me to attend for an interview during my holiday? What do I choose, interview or holiday?

Most companies will not reschedule interviews to accommodate potential employees, and if you're applying though public appointments they won't.

So yes if they call you while you're away you'll likely miss out on the job. Only you know if that is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Tell them you're on holiday during that period and ask if they can accommodate that such as an interview before or after.

Up to you how you respond. I wouldn't be giving up having paid for a holiday, when there'll be other jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Most companies will not reschedule interviews to accommodate potential employees, and if you're applying though public appointments they won't.

So yes if they call you while you're away you'll likely miss out on the job. Only you know if that is worth it.

This is the hard part. I could go through the whole process and still not get the job. But I still don't want to give up my chance of an interview.

Tell them you're on holiday during that period and ask if they can accommodate that such as an interview before or after.

Up to you how you respond. I wouldn't be giving up having paid for a holiday, when there'll be other jobs.

I'll only be missing out on the flights. I can cancel the hotel.

Would I ever be given any wiggle room for an interview? Or are employers normally set on their days and times. They are hiring up until Christmas, so I don't see why I can't organise the interview when I get back from holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Would I ever be given any wiggle room for an interview? Or are employers normally set on their days and times. They are hiring up until Christmas, so I don't see why I can't organise the interview when I get back from holiday.

Do you want us to tell you it's ok, go on holiday?

No one can tell you this other than the employer. Doing interviews is a time consuming task for the managers and it's common for many of them to think that they have better things to be doing. Most want to get them out of the way in one hit. This is especially true for professional recruitment.

However if there is ongoing recruitment like a retail operation, they might be more flexible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I very much doubt it. Over the years I've put off at least a hand full of interviews until after by holidays. In fact I put off a request last week for two weeks as I'm on holidays right now.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I very much doubt it. Over the years I've put off at least a hand full of interviews until after by holidays. In fact I put off a request last week for two weeks as I'm on holidays right now.

That's making me feel a bit better. I hate saying that I can't make it but I'll say it anyway and see what happens. I know they will be hiring up until Christmas so I might be ok requesting an interview when I get back.

Advertisement