Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving pps number

Options
  • 09-10-2019 10:44pm
    Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭

I want to apply for a job on publicjobs.ie. When filling the application, it links to a section where you give your pps number. This is for a government job. I'd like to know can they look up your records using this number? I mean, if I put on my CV that I was working in such n such a place and they then can look it up and see that I actually wasn't for example. Not that this is what I'm doing.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Fornevermore

Anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I don't know if they can/will look up where you were working, but when you fill out your work history they ask will look for references covering the last 3 years if you're appointed. This time frame would have to be reflective of your work history. When compiling your references, they ask for a letter form the Department of Social Protection to cover any unemployment gaps in the last 12 months too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Government departments have a shocking inability to access information held by other government departments, even internally they don't talk to one another. It will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They will do checks if you are accepted as in fall inside what they are looking for.

Obviously dates can be a little of and so on but you can find out a lot from revenue too as they have records of employment.

They will do proper checks as it's state job.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

what are you hiding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I want to apply for a job on publicjobs.ie. When filling the application, it links to a section where you give your pps number. This is for a government job.

Why would you be concerned at all about giving your PPS number, partic in relation to employment and even more so for a PS job? This nonsense stems back to the anti water charges brigade who seized on the notion that your PPS number should be like the third secret of Fatima. Meanwhile, the hypocrites would happily hand it over when it comes to taking something from the state :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

I want to apply for a job on publicjobs.ie. When filling the application, it links to a section where you give your pps number. This is for a government job. I'd like to know can they look up your records using this number? I mean, if I put on my CV that I was working in such n such a place and they then can look it up and see that I actually wasn't for example. Not that this is what I'm doing.

Possibly a simple way of establishing whether or not you have a right to work in Ireland before starting processing your application. If you haven't got a PPSN then presumably you can't submit the form?

I have a pps number, I'm wondering can they check if the employment dates that I've stated on my application are correct. It's all written in my op. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I have a pps number, I'm wondering can they check if the employment dates that I've stated on my application are correct. It's all written in my op. :)

Probably, if they really wanted to. If it's necessary, the state can put together basic facts on a citizen. But that's work - why would they bother for every instance? Anyway, just state the correct dates and you've no problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

No they can't.

It could be used as an identifier (along with DOB or other pieces of info) to confirm they're speaking with the right person, if they need to call you. But I'm not even sure if it's a required field?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you don't give it to them now, you'll be giving it to them should you get the job so that they can pay and deduct tax for you.

Whether they find out about any serious inconsistencies now or after you've begun your employment, under probation, is largely irrelevant, they either won't hire you in the first place or they'll sack you.

Its up to you how you want your CV to look after this process.

Wheety wrote: »
    No they can't.

It could be used as an identifier (along with DOB or other pieces of info) to confirm they're speaking with the right person, if they need to call you. But I'm not even sure if it's a required field?

It's required, they have it on the application form. Are you sure they can't? Others here are saying they can.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If you don't give it to them now, you'll be giving it to them should you get the job so that they can pay and deduct tax for you.

Whether they find out about any serious inconsistencies now or after you've begun your employment, under probation, is largely irrelevant, they either won't hire you in the first place or they'll sack you.

Its up to you how you want your CV to look after this process.

Yes, you have to give your pps number, that's not a problem. There's two different opinions on whether they can look up your employment history or whether they'd bother doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It's required, they have it on the application form. Are you sure they can't? Others here are saying they can.

Technically it’s possible. Would they? Who knows...

In case it hasn’t been mentioned, just put down accurate dates and it won’t be an issue.

endacl wrote: »
    Technically it’s possible. Would they? Who knows...

In case it hasn’t been mentioned, just put down accurate dates and it won’t be an issue.

If I put down accurate dates, I won't get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

If I put down accurate dates, I won't get the job.

Why won't you get the job with the accurate dates? Are there gaps that you are trying to cover?

Could you do it by month so dates are a little vague :D

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Why won't you get the job with the accurate dates? Are there gaps that you are trying to cover?

Could you do it by month so dates are a little vague :D

Yes, some gaps I'm trying to cover. I have it by months but they're not 100% accurate. What I'm hoping to find is some person who is employed in a government office or was employed there who knows the process. How strenuous are the checks?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lynnington3

Is it because you need a certain number of years experience?

Is it because you need a certain number of years experience?

Yes, I've had to boost that up by a few months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    And to a great surprised to no one boards don't support in helping to try to fake your way into a public job; this is beyond the fact that several senior managers are known to read the W&J section. Thread closed; don't reopen another one on the same or similar topic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement