Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost ratio with apple pulp

Options
  • 09-10-2019 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice on how much apple pulp I can add to my compost heap. I've got more than I can add, I know that, but just how much is too much?
    Will the worms love it or would they prefer a more varied mix.
    When I say I've got too much, I'm talking about the amount of pulp from 260kg of Apples I collected at the weekend.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not that i've thrown in more than my own body weight of apple pulp into a compost bin in one go, but definitely 50KG or more, in staggered batches - no issues. in fact, i've never before seen massive congregations of worms like i have seen in the apple pulp i did throw in.
    assuming you've gotten most of the juice out, most of the sugars would be gone, i assume, so there shouldn't be too much fermentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I've put some in tonight and will have a look in on it tomorrow.
    Most of the sugar's gone from that batch. I've had to switch to using my home juicer for a bit though which doesn't extract as much of the juice.
    Just too much time to pulp and press the whole lot. I'm wrecked and still have a huge amount left to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Never done it but half filled massive compost bins with surplus wind fall apples with no ill effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Same here with loads of apples now fit to go into compost bin, now full... looking about to get another composter. Last time I got one in Ballyogan dump (Co Council0 but not doing them anymore. I see poor reviews on various options. Homebase don't do them in my local store.

Advertisement