Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how do you solve the charging network problem

Options
  • 09-10-2019 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭

I think any new planning for garages or changes to existing ones should include charging points as part of the planning permission. The same with hotels and shopping centers.

All government buildings where public parking is provided should provide charging points too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Pretty simple

Sell petrol, need a faster charger

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The budget has made mention of new regulations in that area for next year...
    In addition, next year we will introduce new regulations to require new buildings with more than 10 parking spaces to provide for the installation of charging points and, from 2025, non-residential buildings with over 20 car parking spaces to install charging facilities.

The problem is you cant force anyone to do it retrospectively so it will only happen for new planning permissions but you have to start somewhere.

The reference to 2025 is disappointing though. Dont know why they cant make it an immediate requirement for any new permissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Slow chargers on the public road are not scalable and the myriad of charging cables will not only be ugly, but also a grave concern in this country with its suing culture. Also a complete waste of your time to plug in for half an hour here, an hour there. We don't currently have 100,000 selling points where you can pick up a pint or a naggin of petrol either, do we? :rolleyes:

Fast charging is all we need. Slow chargers is looking backwards, not forwards. Fast charge for a few minutes once or twice a week is what we should aim for, just how we get our petrol / diesel now. There is a place for slow charging. The majority of people in Ireland live in a house with private parking where they can have a home charger. And I'm sure more and more employers have work charging where a car can be fully charged during a working day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Most new developments have them installed or at least the infrastructure ready. For example, large apartment development in Raheny, ESB guide was to run 2 power cables in for future use as chargers. These would be communial and residents would register and use them. They would be provided by a private firm. Not sure if 2 fast chargers or a
    Couple of slow chargers.

Housing development in drumcondra and Finglas, cables and terminals ran from the houses out to the on street parking spots which have been marked for future
    Addition of charging posts if the owner requires them.

It’s happening out there, just not very well publicised as they are for private developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

What we need is a proper independent public report and follow up strategy for the growth EV’s in Ireland as all the information today is opinionated and not fact based. Do we know the numbers who can realistically instal home chargers? Do we continue to support Chademo for expansion? Can we predict charging requirements that will limit wait times to 15 mins?

If I was in charge I would based my strategy largely on experience in the Netherlands and would look something like this:

High speed fast chargers strategically placed on all road arteries every ~100km’s and mandated at current motorway service stations (Cashel perfect example) with dedicated slow charging bays for PHEV’s/AC

Prioritize destination chargers (11kw) in cities & towns (shopping centers, hotels, car parks, on street solutions, work). You should juice up before you come into the city (ours are small) but when you come to shop or enjoy a meal plug in and juice for a couple of hours

The money generated from the budget should be focused on the West of the country in current black spots (Kerry, West Cork, Mayo, Sligo etc) and the Government should supplement these (Norway model)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

unkel wrote: »
    The majority of people in Ireland live in a house with private parking where they can have a home charger. And I'm sure more and more employers have work charging where a car can be fully charged during a working day

Id love to run the numbers on that in a GIS package but Im not sure the data exists.

Lots of suburbia has ONE driveway space. Most have at least two cars. In an all EV future (which I support) we need to stop allowing motorists store their private metal boxes on public roads. The Japanese model, no space - no car purchase.

Thats a big political hot potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Follow the Norwegians.

Follow the Norwegians.

Selling oil to plebs?

To pay for it

Follow the Norwegians.

They still queue for juice in Norway, in fact the Norway model only works for major population centers and only just adapting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I feel the government shouldn't do anything with slow chargers, they should be for the private sector in shopping centres, hotels etc to provide.
    If you need to rely on a slow charger regularly you have the wrong car.
    Fast chargers along the national primary network initially then look at the regional network but not located at focal points to avoid locals hogging charge points.
    Even in apartment blocks, rapids are likely needed unless you have as many chargers as there are EVs which won't happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

krissovo wrote: »
    They still queue for juice in Norway, in fact the Norway model only works for major population centers and only just adapting.

Only if you have an out of date standard like Chademo.
    If you want CCS you will not queue at most places. If you have a CCS equipped Tesla you won't queue at all.

The norwegian model is expanding massively. Lots of non Tesla sites with 6-8+ CCS chargers, Ionity, Circle K, and the indigenous Fortum and Gronn Kontakt. The latter three provide 50kW Chademo at most points except HPC which are CCS only (due to chademo limitation to 125a/500v 62.5kW)

Norway is expanding but in Norway they neglected the rural areas just like we have in the West. We can not follow how they rolled out the Network in Norway. In Ireland we have so many people from The West living and working in our major population areas who regularly visit home. Our family networks are
    Much stronger and unique than in Northern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

ED E wrote: »
    In an all EV future (which I support) we need to stop allowing motorists store their private metal boxes on public roads. The Japanese model, no space - no car purchase.

Thats a big political hot potato.

Well, we do pay for the privilege in the form of motor tax.

I would agree with the no space - no car purchase in principle, if not in practice just yet. My family home is the last house a cul de sac and if I'm home there are 4 cars, soon to be 5. We can get 2 on the driveway.

That problem however is a function of a centralised jobs market, rent so high that children with good jobs can't afford to move out, and inadequate public transport (my family home has one of the best bus services in the country, and it's still inadequate), poor cycling infrastructure, among other things.

The Japanese model is built of the back of incredible public transport infrastructure.

I'm fully in support of an all EV future too, but am more in favour of a "build it and they will come" approach rather than introducing more bans or disincentives, etc.

As misguided as the 2008 CO2 motor tax was in favouring diesels, the policy was extremely successful in incentivising people over to diesel for a relatively small saving in overall motoring costs.

krissovo wrote: »
    Norway is expanding but in Norway they neglected the rural areas just like we have in the West. We can not follow how they rolled out the Network in Norway. In Ireland we have so many people from The West living and working in our major population areas who regularly visit home. Our family networks are
    Much stronger and unique than in Northern Europe.

If you watch Bjorn's road trips this year vs 2014 in Norway you can see the massive leap they made since then.
    You have to remember, you don't need a fast charger in your locale. You need a fast charger on routes that people regularly travel long distances on.

Even when I had my 24kWh leaf a couple of years ago, there wasnt a single part of the country that I couldnt reach. And that tech (90-110km range, no CCS) is seriously outdated now.

I'd be quite happy if we were put on par with Norway.
    In fact, a few more Ionity sites and we're not far away.All that is needed if for maybe 4 more.
    M9, N3-N5 (ie somewhere northwest bound) and maybe one near Maghera in the North of Ireland to facilitate travel across the wee province. One near belfast on the M/N1 too.

We're only a small island.
    Most new EVs can traverse East to West without a charge, and north to south on 1 charge (maybe 2 in winter). The only problem at the moment is if you're heading north west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

unkel wrote: »
    Slow chargers on the public road are not scalable and the myriad of charging cables will not only be ugly, but also a grave concern in this country with its suing culture. Also a complete waste of your time to plug in for half an hour here, an hour there. We don't currently have 100,000 selling points where you can pick up a pint or a naggin of petrol either, do we? :rolleyes:

Fast charging is all we need. Slow chargers is looking backwards, not forwards. Fast charge for a few minutes once or twice a week is what we should aim for, just how we get our petrol / diesel now. There is a place for slow charging. The majority of people in Ireland live in a house with private parking where they can have a home charger. And I'm sure more and more employers have work charging where a car can be fully charged during a working day

I could see the benefit of 100000 charging points, if it was to do with grid storage, but its ugly and a compensation wave waiting to happen.

Fast chargers are a multiple more expensive and associated problems with everyone wanting to get home at the same time.

Its a fine ideal to charge once a week, but that requires a huge battery or a small weekly commute.

I don't mind to plug in for 30 minutes or even 10 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes turns into an hour.

If you charge at home and you have 400-500km range then you will rarely need public charging .
    Same if you have reliable work charging.

Fast charging should be for the 1% of journeys outside of the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Iv aklways wondered on the possibility of using street lights as a source of power for chargers, as in have maybe two charging cables/spots on both sides of every street light (that already has parking in front of it). I know there is testing going on in the UK and only just found now theyre testing it in Dun Laoghaire (https://www.thejournal.ie/street-lamps-electric-vehicle-4054739-Jun2018/). Would reduce the work required to install chargers as the electrical infrastructure is already present should have good capacity for demand on the street light lines

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

public transport ???
    Thatcher wrote:
    A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

public transport ???

There isn't any where I live.

• Advertisement

There isn't any where I live.
    Unless you live in the outskirts of Dublin and you want to go to An Lár, chances are this is true for everyone.

Furthermore I don't want public transport anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 40 159conor

For people living in citys I would put in a few 100 kw dc fast chargers in lidl and aldi charging once a week would probably be just fine for a lot of people only doing city journeys especially in a new car with a 50 kWh battery and the ability to make use of > 50 kW. I dont see the point of installing 7kw charging posts in a place you might only be 30 min

• Registered Users Posts: 40 159conor

For city charging something like installing 100 kW charging in supermarkets would be a good plan as you would only be staying 30 to 40 min there. I dont understand why Lidl is installing 7kw charging in places you might only be 30 min. In a modern car 50 kWhs once a week might be all you you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

159conor wrote: »
    I dont understand why Lidl is installing 7kw charging
    Cost. A 7kW charger costs a few hundred. A 100kW DC fast charger is tens of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Lumen wrote: »
    Cost. A 7kW charger costs a few hundred. A 100kW DC fast charger is tens of thousands.

And they want you to stay as long as possible

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think a continuation of what they are doing - decent charging points on main corridors through Ireland. I.e. M4/M6 has 2 decent ones now for east to west driving. Need the same travelling diagonally (M7/8/9) and a few heading north - west to south - east.
    Rest of charging can be done at home.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I think a continuation of what they are doing - decent charging points on main corridors through Ireland. I.e. M4/M6 has 2 decent ones now for east to west driving. Need the same travelling diagonally (M7/8/9) and a few heading north - west to south - east.
    Rest of charging can be done at home.

Not with 1 million EV 2030 target

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Not with 1 million EV 2030 target

I’ll be too old to drive by the time there’s a million EV’s on our roads!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I’ll be too old to drive by the time there’s a million EV’s on our roads!!!

You'll summon the car to where you're sitting in your wheel chair. The car will lift you up into the front passenger seat, store the wheel chair in the boot and drive you to the destination of your choice :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭innrain

Lumen wrote: »

It will be interesting to see if they don't change to rapids when ESB charges will kick in.
    I was at the Lidl in Rathfarnham and the huge junction box behind the little charger made me wonder. I think they are 2x22kW so maybe they planned for spare power.

Advertisement