Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a false report that turns out to be true.

Options
  • 08-10-2019 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

A hypothetical scenario I thought up.

Say someone makes a claim to the police that their car was stolen, they then retract it and say its not true and they made it up. They are charged with making a false report,wasting police tine and all that goes with it.

It later transpires through video evidence etc that their car was stolen,all the details given are true and this cant be disputed.

Will the person still be charged for making a false report even though it turns out the report was not, in fact false?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

sexmag wrote: »

Say someone makes a claim to the police that their car was stolen, they then retract it and say its not true and they made it up. They are charged with making a false report,wasting police tine and all that goes with it.

It later transpires through video evidence etc that their car was stolen,all the details given are true and this cant be disputed.

Will the person still be charged for making a false report even though it turns out the report was not, in fact false?

Did your watch "Unbelievable", by any chance? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Sounds like the plot for the next Christopher Nolan flick.
    I think I need a lie down after reading your post op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

highdef wrote: »
    Did your watch "Unbelievable", by any chance? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbelievable

Ehm no? I am not familiar with this show?

In my hypothetical I could say that the person who stole the car threatened the car owner to retract their statement or it could have been a family member whose car was stolen by a family member and changed their mind about wanting to charge that person.

That specific isnt necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The first report was not false but the second report, that the car had not been stolen and the allegation had been made up, was; the car had indeed been stolen. So, yeah, the person concerned is still exposed to a "making a false report" charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

In my hypothetical I could say that the person who stole the car threatened the car owner to retract their statement or it could have been a family member whose car was stolen by a family member and changed their mind about wanting to charge that person.

It wouldn't be up to the car owner to charge the person anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement