Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service Application query. Help appreciated

Options
  • 08-10-2019 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently applied for a Clerical Officer position in the Civil Service.

I completed the online questionnaire successfully. Today, I received the email from Public Services, stating the following;

" As a result of your responses to the Online Assessment questionnaire, which you completed recently for the above mentioned competition, I am pleased to inform you that you have been placed 230 on the order of merit for (my county).

Candidates will be invited to Stage 2 - Interview should there place in the order of merit be reached. Should you be among those invited, you will receive a message on your Public Jobs.ie messageboard, including details of your interview location, date and time.
    This panel will expire when a new panel is formed from the TCO 2020 competition.

The number of candidates invited to interview will be determined by the number of vacancies received throughout the year. Please note that we do not have advance knowledge of the number of vacancies that may arise in any location."

So what does that all mean, for me, the applicant? Have I been placed on the 'order of merit' given my score above?

Anyone able to shed any light on this?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If they get through the other 229 people you'll be called for stage 2. After interview (stage 2) you'll be given a new OOM and if they reach that number you'll get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭wench

Basically, they have ordered all applicants in each county by their results, and you are 230th in line.

Normally, they then call a block of people, say 1-50 for interview. Those who pass the interview will be placed on a panel, and offered positions as they become available.

If they exhaust that list, then they go back to the first step, and call people 51 - 100, and go around again, as often as needed.

Whether they get to 230 will be determined by how many staff they need in your county - in Dublin, they probably would get to you, in a smaller county with less offices, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭I am me123

wench wrote: »
    Basically, they have ordered all applicants in each county by their results, and you are 230th in line.

Normally, they then call a block of people, say 1-50 for interview. Those who pass the interview will be placed on a panel, and offered positions as they become available.

If they exhaust that list, then they go back to the first step, and call people 51 - 100, and go around again, as often as needed.

Whether they get to 230 will be determined by how many staff they need in your county - in Dublin, they probably would get to you, in a smaller county with less offices, maybe not.

Thank you. So does this mean that I am at least being considered for the position I applied for?
    Do I just wait and see if Im called for an interview? Do I stand a chance or is it 'pie in the sky' as it were?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭wench

Yes, it means you passed the assessment, and are still in the running.

As I said, it will very much depend on where you have applied, and then on how many people ahead of you accept positions.

Advertisement