Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a felling licence, any tips?

Options
  • 08-10-2019 2:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have approx 5 ha of forestry planted 15 years and I want to apply for a 10 yr felling licence. It is roughly 40% sitka, 50% norway and 10% alder.

The norway is in one block and the sitka is in smaller blocks divided by small areas of alder in the wet areas. My question is because the whole plantation is only 5ha do I need to number the different blocks of sitka and alder or can the whole 5 ha go in as 1 block?

I googled this https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/forestry/treefelling/FellingApplicationGuidanceNotes091018.pdf

but I'm still not sure.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

blue5000 wrote: »
    I have approx 5 ha of forestry planted 15 years and I want to apply for a 10 yr felling licence. It is roughly 40% sitka, 50% norway and 10% alder.

The norway is in one block and the sitka is in smaller blocks divided by small areas of alder in the wet areas. My question is because the whole plantation is only 5ha do I need to number the different blocks of sitka and alder or can the whole 5 ha go in as 1 block?

I googled this https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/forestry/treefelling/FellingApplicationGuidanceNotes091018.pdf

but I'm still not sure.

Hi blue,you’ll need a forester to sign off on it (€300 approx)but as far as I know it’s as per your planting plan so you’ll have plot 1,2 etc tree type thinning % and then it takes about 7-8 months to get your license and 28 days before your allowed start you could apply for a forest road while your waiting,they grant aid 25m per ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The very strongly advocated advice I'm hearing these days is to employ a qualified forester to complete the whole application in order to have the best chance of getting the application through without enormous difficulty. They'll be needed to sign off on it anyway.
    A certain well known serial-objector has turned his baleful gaze upon forestry matters, and whole swathes of applications for roading grants, felling licences, afforestation grants, etc, are being objected to in bulk and forced to go through the whole review process. :mad:
    This is leading to huge delays in all this paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

but I'm still not sure.

You don't need a forester but I suppose if things are complicated you might need advice. I applied for a licence myself in December and got it this September. There is a delay for an archaeological report. If you are going to treat the whole block the same such as clearfelling it all at the same time then just use the same block number for it all but have a separate line in your plot list with the percentage of each like:
    Plot 1 40% SS
    Plot 1 50% Norway etc

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

but I'm still not sure.

HOwdy Blue,
    Just noticed your post now.
    Tick all the boxes mate, you never know what operations you may need your licence to cover in the future.
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

There is no requirement to have a forrester sign off and you can submit the form yourself.

If you want a ten year licence then you must provide a detailed plan of what you intend to do for the ten years.

For example don't just put thinning in 2021 you would only be granted a 2 year licence at most.

• Advertisement
Advertisement