Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quadrant Shower Enclosure 750mm

Options
  • 07-10-2019 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

Greetings,

I'd like to replace my Quadrant shaped shower enclosure. I went looking round the internet and realised they come in various sizes - but mainly 800x800 or 900x900, if I understand it, these sizes correspond to the two straight edges of my shower tray. Well they would if I hadn't discovered that the dimensions of MY tray are 750x750 (nominal - given there's a difference of about 8mm on one side). Its about 14 years since it was done, and I didn't think to see if its actually imperial measurements.

So, does anyone know if 750x750 enclosures are available these days?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Greetings,

I'd like to replace my Quadrant shaped shower enclosure. I went looking round the internet and realised they come in various sizes - but mainly 800x800 or 900x900, if I understand it, these sizes correspond to the two straight edges of my shower tray. Well they would if I hadn't discovered that the dimensions of MY tray are 750x750 (nominal - given there's a difference of about 8mm on one side). Its about 14 years since it was done, and I didn't think to see if its actually imperial measurements.

So, does anyone know if 750x750 enclosures are available these days?

cheers

You will find that almost anything is available these days but rarer things cost a lot more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

760mm would appear to be the common size around the measurements you have listed. Very widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Never in 20 years plumbing did I hear of a 760mm or 750mm quadrant tray. Op, are you measuring to the wall? Perhaps your tray was fitted up to the cement block and then plaster and tile made the area smaller?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Never in 20 years plumbing did I hear of a 760mm or 750mm quadrant tray. Op, are you measuring to the wall? Perhaps your tray was fitted up to the cement block and then plaster and tile made the area smaller?

Thanks for the observation. Here's what I measured:

Standing in the shower
    Measure along one wall to the inside edge of the enclosure 75cm- fitted to that wall
    Measure along the perpendicular wall to the inside edge of the enclosure 74cm fitted to that wall

Stood outside shower and measured from Wall 'A; to outer edge of tray where its still straight, if you get my drift. About 78cm.

The walls are tiled, so I'll suspect there could be up to 1-1.5cm lost where the tray is butted up to the wall below the tiles.

Online, the nearest I could find was a 760x900 offset quadrant enclosure. I might go and find one on display and measure the outside circumference to see if it matches mine - I use the word circumference loosely, but I'm sure you get my drift.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Shower doors are gauged towards shower trays.
    It sounds to me that you have an 800 tray, you measure along the two outer straight edges of the tray from the right angle corner.
    The door is made to fit the tray with an adjustable allowance to compensate for the space taken up by wall tiles.
    So, an 800 quadrant door is not exactly 800 wide, otherwise it would tip over the edge of most trays.
    Here is an example of an 800 Quadrant door, (Sonas, Kristal range) but look at the actual minimum / maximum adjustment scale.

k2-quadrant-800-tech.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hi K.Flyer, thanks for your post and the informative diagram.

I suspect you may be right about the dimensions of my existing shower enclosure.

It looks like the tray was fitted and plumbed, then they tiled the floors and walls. The tiles themselves are no more than 1cm thick. but I've no idea how much plaster is behind them. Also, I think my tray is not a flat outer edge, but seems to be sloped outwards from top to bottom. So if the tray is measured on its bottom edge, perhaps the top is really only 79x79, which would make the apparent anomaly I'm seeing more easily explained. Anyway, while this is only a stop gap until we get the bathroom refurbed next year, I still want it to fit:pac:.

I have actually had to take the enclosure off before to remove tiles and fix the plaster behind them, where water got behind the bottom row of tiles, so I know how to fit the thing, but of course last time I forgot to measure everything to the nearest millimetre in case I would ever need it:D.

Advertisement