Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 800 woes

Options
  • 07-10-2019 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

My Garmin 800 is giving me trouble. It's probably due to the downpour I rode home in this morning, but when I plugged it into a computer today, I get a message that USB device not recognised. Also, the Garmin now switches on when I plug it in (?).
    It seems to be charging ok, just not recognised by a computer. I've tried 2 different leads and 2 different computers - all with the same issue.
    I've cleaned the contacts with electrical contact cleaner, and blew it out with air and its now sitting on a radiator, so hopefully it might come good.
    I've now changed the recording to the memory card, so I can take data off, but if it doesn't work I'll lose the last 2 rides. Hmmm... :(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

My Garmin 800 is giving me trouble. It's probably due to the downpour I rode home in this morning, but when I plugged it into a computer today, I get a message that USB device not recognised. Also, the Garmin now switches on when I plug it in (?).
    It seems to be charging ok, just not recognised by a computer. I've tried 2 different leads and 2 different computers - all with the same issue.
    I've cleaned the contacts with electrical contact cleaner, and blew it out with air and its now sitting on a radiator, so hopefully it might come good.
    I've now changed the recording to the memory card, so I can take data off, but if it doesn't work I'll lose the last 2 rides. Hmmm... :(

Try overnight in the airing cupboard in a bag of dry rice or similar desiccant. I had a similar issue with my 810 last year caused by plugging it in to the pc while the contacts were still wet and drying it out and cleaning the contacts did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I love the internet!!
    Bit of googling and a trip out to buy a T5 torx screwdriver and I'm sorted.
    Corrosion at the back of the mini USB port was my problem, so with a lot of fiddling about with small electronics, I'm back in business. Plugged it in and syncing away merrily now.
    Happy days!!

Advertisement