Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thinking of replacing the aging iMac

Options
  • 06-10-2019 3:23pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I have a Mid 2011 IMac 27inch and I'm beginning to think it needs an change, back when I got it I had some extra cash so opted for a refurbish high spec and paid out about 2.2k on it.

Fast forward 8 years and I couldn't justify the same money, maybe 1.5k.

Prior to the iMac I was using Windows and overall I'm happy with the bang for buck I've gotten from my iMac. Had I been using Windows i feel I would have upgraded to a new machine by now and I'd certainly have spent more money on a windows machine in one manner or another.

By comparison I've only bought ram for the iMac.

So price wise I'm putting another 27" iMac out of the running, its just too expensive as even the basic spec is €2,199.00. (could likely get it as referb for 2k though).

This leaves me with a 21" iMac, the 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor, 1TB Storage
    Retina 4K Display spec for €1,549.00
    or
    Mac Mini, 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor, 128GB Storage for €919.00
    and pick up a 4k 28inch display for maybe another €400 max...maybe like this Samsung?

I'm leaning more towards the Mac Mini but is there any downsides to the Mac Mini? I've no experience with them.

My only issue with it is the piss poor storage on it by default.

While I have plenty of storage on my local network, I feel even 128GB is fairly slim even for OS, programs and the odd game or two.

Anyone give their experiences with the Mac Mini and maybe what I could do storage wise without breaking the bank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Cabaal wrote: »
    So I have a Mid 2011 IMac 27inch ...

I'm leaning more towards the Mac Mini but is there any downsides to the Mac Mini? I've no experience with them.

My only issue with it is the piss poor storage on it by default.

While I have plenty of storage on my local network, I feel even 128GB is fairly slim even for OS, programs and the odd game or two.

Anyone give their experiences with the Mac Mini and maybe what I could do storage wise without breaking the bank?

I recently bought a used 2011/12 MacMini 2.8Ghz i5 Dual Core 8G Ram mainly because of the HDMI out which my older iMac (Pure work horse) does not have, the mac mini cost €120, It was one of the ones with a larger inside that can accommodate two internal drives. One 1TB drive the other 2TB. I decided to put a €100, 430GB SSD drive in it and remove the 1TB system drive used for a back up system.

After SSD installed System improvements as expected very fast start up and no drive lag on large files or heavy use for audio or video editing. Will upgrade the ram soon also.

I would not go with the 128GB its too small and may run into issues even with temp files during updates if your have a lot of apps.

I'm also looking at Network storage as too many externals now any pros and cons with the storage vendor your using?

Advertisement