Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 520 Battery Replacement

Options
  • 06-10-2019 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone done this themselves? My battery lasts 3-4hrs at best so I was googling it and watched a few tutorial videos and it seems pretty straight forward and well within my capability (I’ve replaced iPhone screens and battery’s a few times, successfully) so I ordered a battery off eBay and will give it a go. The only thing of slight concern is that In order to change the battery you have to remove the front glass screen first and so when refitting it, I’d be slightly concerned that it might not be sealed as well as it was from the factory.

Anyone else ever done it or have any input in relation to the seal around the screen afterwards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Not done it myself, but as long as you’re careful with the seal it should be ok. Maybe give the seal a slight smear of Vaseline or silicone grease if you have it before refitting (DC4 is ideal)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’m not sure if I’m going to attempt this now. I watched another video on YouTube where the guy attempting to replace his battery cracked his screen as the sealant/glue used is very strong.

I won’t be doing any long cycles over winter so I might just make do with it till next year and buy either a new one or Wahoo Bolt before next summer.

I’ll attempt it once I have a new computer bought and if I fcuk it up then its no big deal as I wouldn’t be able to sell it with a near spent battery and it’s no use for anything else so I have nothing to lose really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭G1032

What would Garmin charge to replace it I wonder? Probably astronomical money I guess

I've returned a Garmin before for a broken screen, and they send you a reconditioned unit in its place. I think it was around 70 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

G1032 wrote: »
    What would Garmin charge to replace it I wonder? Probably astronomical money I guess

Yeah, they will do you a deal. Anything for brand loyalty and to dissuade you from buying a Wahoo ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

I’ve done the 500 and it’s straight forward if you have a good-quality tool to open the screws - they were tight and stripped a cheap bit.

I've just had the back off my 800 and had the battery out to fix a different problem and its very easy to do.
    You'll probably find a video on youtube for it, but you will need a T5 torx screwdriver. I had to buy a set (15 euro in Halfords) but you can get them separately if you're not in a rush - or if you're near NCD or the airport you can get a loan of mine

Advertisement