Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When and how to take cuttings

Options
  • 05-10-2019 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got the garden done last year and my mother in law is looking for cuttings of our Annabel hydrangea.

Can anyone give me some tips on when to take the cuttings and what to store them in to ensure they root down?

Haven't done this before but would like to learn how.

Not sure if it's a one size fits all step by step guide or different for each plant type etc

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hydrangea are easy, Take softwood cuttings from late spring to mid-summer, semi-ripe cuttings in mid-summer and or hardwood cuttings in winter

Good guide here....https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popular/hydrangea/shrubby/growing-guide

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Ixlandia

Morning time is best when the shoots are full of sap. Following the instructions in the link, I find what works well is to dip the cuttings in root hormone gel and placing them down the inside of the pot, not in the centre as the roots will find it easier to get down.

Keep them in a cool place, but not in direct sunlight

Good luck !

Ix

Advertisement