Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd leaf growth on indoor plants

Options
  • 05-10-2019 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭

Three of my indoor plants are giving me odd leaf growth. Crinkly leaves.

I've tried fungus and insect spray
    I water and feed on a regular basis

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions pleased

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

I've a rake of other indoor plants that are fine it's just these three that are not growing well.

I feed with a general fert all plants every 6 weeks or so and use fish tank water every month or two. I'm not terribly regular about feeding them in general.

Missionary: I've two both have issues, one is in low light area another in a high light. I almost think this could be down to over feeding? But I'm not sure. The soil is about 2 years old. Maybe a repot?

Palm: this palm is so unloved. I often forget to water it, it gets very dry and then very wet. Only one or two of the new growth is crinkled, the more recent growth has been fine.

Basil: this is in a hydroponics system. I've previously grown basil, mint and tomato with no issues. This time the mint is fine and the basil....well. it definitely has fungus on the stem which fungus spray won't get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Aphids, especially white fly, are often the cause of distorted leaves, but they are easy to see under the leaves.

Edit - rather than use spray on plants to be consumed I would be more inclined to throw away the plants and entirely clean the system. A lot of herbs, and basil is one of the worst, tend to get mildewed in house growing conditions.

looksee wrote: »
    Aphids, especially white fly, are often the cause of distorted leaves, but they are easy to see under the leaves.

I've sprayed for insects, incase, and I'm not seeing any insects on the leaves.

I honestly don't think that's it

looksee wrote: »

Edit - rather than use spray on plants to be consumed I would be more inclined to throw away the plants and entirely clean the system. A lot of herbs, and basil is one of the worst, tend to get mildewed in house growing conditions.

Do you think it's my choice of basil seeds? Cause I've already cleared down the system and started again with the same results. I can do again but not sure what else to change, else I'll likely get the same results.

Thing is I'm not sure if all three plants are suffering from the same problem or if they three different issues

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wouldn't think its seeds, its the fact of it being basil and the limitations of how they can be grown in this climate. I haven't checked it out but I imagine basil needs warm, bright, dry air - Mediterranean climate. Outside of commercial special conditions I don't think it is possible here. I have never had any luck with basil - even if it doesn't get mildew or aphids it grows so slowly that it doesn't look fresh and appealing. Is it supposed to be suitable for hydroponics? I don't know much about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Basil only stayed alive, for me, when watered from below.

Advertisement