Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira QT 10.8kw low water flow.....

Options
  • 05-10-2019 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Just had one installed. Really disappointed with the water flow. Expected a bit more. The Elite 2 that was in there before was better. Is there something I am missing? The shower is gravity fed from the attic. It's brand new, I tried cleaning etc, but it's the same flow....not really bad but just very average.....

Do I just have to take the hit and get a different shower?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Try the old shower head on it. will give you a better idea of the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

To rule out any heating element problems, just hold a dish under the shower for exactly one minute and measure this into a milk bottle or whatever, in this weather a 10.8 KW shower should give 5 LPM at 40C, if so, you can then try the elite shower head which may give a nicer spray pattern, the Elite, if it was a 9 KW should have flowed - 4 LPM at 40C.ch

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The 10.8kw marked on the box is based on 240volt in the UK. It strikes me as false advertising when in Ireland we have 230volt making this slightly under 10kw though they do have the Irish ration in smaller writing if you really search for it. I agree with both comments above. Your old shower head being smaller might give the impression of giving more flow / water. The modern Triton & Mira shower heads are much wider than the older heads & it can feel like less water coming out. I like to call the LPM test the "it's a knockout" test , after an old TV show that had my family in kinks of laughter as a child. You can use a liter jug to see how many liters of hot water you can get per minute. If you are not getting enough LPM you might have a faulty heating can. One of the elements in the can could be faulty. You have a two yours parts & labour warranty.

On a side note If your shower was 9KW you could get away with 6mm cable safely though technically 10mm is required. With your 10KW shower you really should have 10mm cable. Are you sure your installer upgraded the cable to 10mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Cable is 10...it's just newly put in.....part of an overall renovation. I'll try the jug test. Thanks for the advice.

It was around 5 litres......I was actually hoping it was broken. So all I can really do is change the head.....is that right?

• Advertisement

It was around 5 litres......I was actually hoping it was broken. So all I can really do is change the head.....is that right?

5 lpm is good for an electric shower as it's heating water instantly. A smaller shower head will give you the impression of more water but not all shower heads are compatible with electric shower. Some will restrict the water & cause it to cycle hot & cold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

If he still has the old shower head then he can simply change it and one would think that there should be enough pump power to still give him ~ 5 LPM at the desired temperature by turning the temperature control slightly towards the colder position, you only need 8% increase in flow, (9.8 Kw vs 9.0 Kw).

For interest, do Mira or Triton sell 230V pumped showers > say 9.8/10 Kw?.

John.G wrote:
    For interest, do Mira or Triton sell 230V pumped showers > say 9.8/10 Kw?.

Triton showers sold in Ireland are only for the Irish Market so everything is quoted in 230v. Almost all showers are 9kw now. I don't think triton or mira sell smaller than that but triton have stopped producing anything more than 9kw.

Thanks for your responses. It's a terrible shower. It's noisy too.

I'm going to plumb in another shower with a pump, break my new tiles, and moan about it to as many people who will listen.

Thanks for your responses. It's a terrible shower. It's noisy too.

Not quite the "75 percent quieter than all other showers" quoted on the box. A plumber once asked 75 percent quieter than what? A train? :)

It sounds like you really want a power shower rather than an electric shower. Look at the triton novel SR silent power shower. It's not a big deal replacing the electric shower for this shower in most cases. If needs be the wall can be opened behind the shower in a bedroom or on landing. Very unlikely tiles need to be damaged

• Advertisement
Advertisement