Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it feasible to set up a corporation to buy & rent out real estate?

• 04-10-2019 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I am an Irish citizen & am currently renting out a house that I am the owner of.

I've been doing some research into investing recently, & heard that it is a good idea to own income-generating assets through something like a corporation.

I'd like to know is it possible to set up a corporation & buy the house through them?
    I.e. I would still own the house, but now it would be through the corporation.

If this were possible, I have some questions:

1. What type of company would I have to set up?

2. What would be the costs / expenses associated with setting it up?

3. What are the benefits / protections of this? (tax, etc.)

The goal of setting up this corporation would not just be a one-off. The long term goal would be to own & rent out several pieces of real estate.

Thanks a lot for reading, & I appreciate any feedback or advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

You need to talk to a professional.

Generally speaking, setting up a company to hold investments is a good way of maximising the amount of tax you pay.

At its simplest the company pays tax on its income and gains, and then you pay more tax when you take any money out of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It is of course possible to do this.

But why would you do so?

What are the benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP: you need to research the rules around close company taxation
    In addition the most recent Company law rules went a long way to lifting the cloak of protection that owner/directors had under the old rules.
    You might think of it for a pension plan, but the obvious issue is the assets are a single class and chunky for disposal purposes.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement