Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Training

Options
  • 04-10-2019 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

Have a 4 year old son, was toilet trained about 9 months ago. Was very tough going, took him a while to get the hang of it. Had a lot of accidents, crèche was good initially but after a while they started putting him in pull ups when he had 2 accidents. He wouldn't have any accidents at home but would have some in crèche but I understand they are different environments. Things improved and for a few months things were great, only a very odd accident. Was still wearing pull ups at night.

Roll on to this summer and between his mammy spending a few weeks in hospital, losing his unborn baby brother in August (which he knew about) and a house move all in quick succession meant he started having loads of accidents again. When he returned to crèche after a few weeks off I explained circumstances and asked them give him a break. He was having 2/3 accidents a day. I asked them not to put a pull up on him but if he had lots of accidents to call me and I would collect him rather than putting a pull up on him(I was off work after losing our son).

Had no accidents last weekend and every day this week he has had 1 or 2 accidents in crèche. Today he came home in a pull up again and I'm livid.. He had 2 accidents and they put a pull up on him. I understand they can't keep changing him but it's sending him backwards by putting a pull up on him. I'm at my wits end, I'm due back in work on Monday and I don't know what to do. I've tried everything, crèche arent helping either.. Can anyone offer us any advice. How do we get through this and get the accidents to stop.. Or at least get creche to work with us on this. I'm assuming that's the done thing in crèche if a child has a number of accidents.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If they were inspected, it wouldnt look good for them. Parents wishes dont come before the check box on the form.

If there's issues with your son regressing due to stress, you cant really put it on them. Wearing the pullups does not mean he has to use them. Talk with him about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sorry about your baby Dravokivich, tough times. The upheaval of the house move probably didn't help.

Have you any time off coming up? Maybe three days off with him and your partner another three days. Get a good run at him, bring him out and about and keep asking him if he needs to go, get him back in to the routine of going to the toilet when he needs to go.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I was responding to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

If they were inspected, it wouldnt look good for them. Parents wishes dont come before the check box on the form.

If there's issues with your son regressing due to stress, you cant really put it on them. Wearing the pullups does not mean he has to use them. Talk with him about that.

Sorry I don't really understand the bit about the inspection. How would that affect them? They say they have to put a pull up on him after second accident, I've asked them not to and to call me instead, I live 5minutes away. If you could elaborate further I would really appreciate it as I have very little knowledge of that sector

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Sorry about your baby Dravokivich, tough times. The upheaval of the house move probably didn't help.

Have you any time off coming up? Maybe three days off with him and your partner another three days. Get a good run at him, bring him out and about and keep asking him if he needs to go, get him back in to the routine of going to the toilet when he needs to go.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm afraid that won't work as he is great when he is with us, had a few weeks where he was having accidents at home too but in last few weeks has been great. In fact had him out with me all day shopping and he told me when he needed to go. I don't know, I'm starting to look at the possibility that he is not happy there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

How long has he been going to this crèche ?
    My son is in preschool and it took us a really long time to potty train him as well but what they did in preschool was just take him to the toilet at certain times instead of waiting for him to go and say he has to go. That helped us tremendously! We even did that at home and it worked out great! He still has the odd accident now and then but only had one accident in preschool and they just changed his pants and put the wet ones in a bag for us and never said anything about it!

Advertisement