Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! I've got Vine Weevils!

Options
  • 04-10-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hoping to get a bit of advice!

I bought my own place in Feb with a sunny garden terrace and had lovely hanging baskets and potted plants during the summer. They were thriving up until about July and then they started rapidly dying. Eventually I spotted a nasty vine weevil beetle and I knew it was bad news. I used a 'bug clear' treatment which seemed to help the plants recover a bit, but eventually they came back and destroyed everything, even my lovely Japanese maple.

I asked a gardener at work and he advised me to dump everything (including the soil I was using), and scrub down my terrace with the bug clear and start again next year.

I'd love to start growing some salads and veggies next year along with more flowers, but I'm worried that the bloody Weevils will come back! Apparently they come in on potting compost and are really common, so I am looking for any tips any of you green fingered folk may have!

Comments

Advertisement