Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Espresso Setup Advice

Options
  • 03-10-2019 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭

Been contemplating getting an espresso machine at home for a while, and not sure on the direction to go with. Bit tight for space due to the living situation at the moment and not looking for anything mental, just a half decent setup for the odd flat white or latte as more of a hobby thing. Not looking to spend mad money either, ideally would like to keep it under 4-500, as I normally just use a Chemex or Aeropress at home and would be killed if it was found out I'd even spent 4-500 on coffee :D

Torn between getting either the Sage Barista Express (simply out of convenience), or something like the Delonghi Dedica that's on sale at the moment and the KG79 grinder to accompany it.

Anyone got any advice or experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Do you have a grinder?

The ones I see recomended most are the Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silvia.

I have experience with the Silvia and can reccomend it but it will be close to the top end of your budget unless you go for something second hand.

I don't have any experience of the machines you mention unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

adrian522 wrote: »
    Do you have a grinder?

The ones I see recomended most are the Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silvia.

I have experience with the Silvia and can reccomend it but it will be close to the top end of your budget unless you go for something second hand.

I don't have any experience of the machines you mention unfortunately.

Currently using a hario mini mill, so not really suitable for espresso so if I'm not going with something like the Barista Express (which has a built in grinder), would need to add a decent one in to the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

KG79 is no good for espresso. It cant go fine enough. You would be better off with a decent hand grinder than the KG79.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Been contemplating getting an espresso machine at home for a while, and not sure on the direction to go with. Bit tight for space due to the living situation at the moment and not looking for anything mental, just a half decent setup for the odd flat white or latte as more of a hobby thing. Not looking to spend mad money either, ideally would like to keep it under 4-500, as I normally just use a Chemex or Aeropress at home and would be killed if it was found out I'd even spent 4-500 on coffee :D

Torn between getting either the Sage Barista Express (simply out of convenience), or something like the Delonghi Dedica that's on sale at the moment and the KG79 grinder to accompany it.

I toyed with the idea of the Sage Barrista Express and ended up buying the Sage Grinder Pro and Sage Duo Temp Pro separate. My reason being that I wouldn't be tied to an all in one and could change either if I wasn't happy. I couldn't be happier with my choice tbh

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sage-BCG820BSSUK-Smart-Grinder-Coffee/dp/B00P81AQUU/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sage+grinder+pro&qid=1570182116&sr=8-3
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sage-BES810BSS-Temp-Espresso-Machine/dp/B00NPYDJ6U/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=sage+espresso&qid=1570181976&sr=8-5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I'd recommend a decent hand Grinder and Gaggia aswell.

I got a Gaggia second hand off Donedeal and I'm well impressed. Had a Delonghi machine previously and it just wasn't giving good coffee.

• Advertisement

Should be picking up a Gaggia Classic tomorrow, managed to find one used that looks in good condition for a bargain, so going to splash out on a decent grinder, will look at the Sage, any other recommendations?

Cheers for all the advice so far folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Rocky doserless mighty machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

It depends on how close you want to get to barista coffee at home. If you are looking for a push button bean to cup machine then something like the Sage machine is pretty good(from reviews I read when I was considering it). You could end up spending €500-600 on something like that.

Of you could take another step up and get a separate grinder and manual machine. If you are interested in dialing in all the variables and having a true barista experience at home then this is the option. Something like the Rocket Apartmento and a Eureka Mignon grinder will set up back €1200-€1500 and unless you already have the skills you will need to go on a home barista course to get the best out of the equipment.

I personally have gone for the later and 98% I enjoy using it, dealing in, experimenting with new roasts, etc However the odd time when I am in a hurry and I have to switch to a different roast and have to start dialing in I have cursed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

Should be picking up a Gaggia Classic tomorrow, managed to find one used that looks in good condition for a bargain, so going to splash out on a decent grinder, will look at the Sage, any other recommendations?

Cheers for all the advice so far folks.

I have the eureka Mignon and its proving to be excellent after using it for a year.

Went with the Sage Smart Grinder Pro, I know it's not exactly the best but I've pulled a couple of shots already with the setup (swapped the steam wand on the Gaggia for a Silvia), and couldn't be happier :D already picking up other bits and pieces like balanced tamper, knock-box, better scales etc, let the rabbit hole begin!

Thanks again everyone for all the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Fantacoffee

Sage Barista Express, for sure! Have you considered a moka pot for espresso? Obviously less conveninent than a Sage, but I find the original ways of doing things are often best. Moka pots are top notch! Bialetti

• Registered Users Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sage Barista Express, for sure! Have you considered a moka pot for espresso? Obviously less conveninent than a Sage, but I find the original ways of doing things are often best. Moka pots are top notch! Bialetti

Moka pots get the water too hot - well above the ideal range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Have a Rancilio Silvia. Basic machine but easy to get used to.
    Very easy to repair too.
    Keep an eye on adverts.ie or https://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum/36-for-sale-or-swap/

Buy a Moka pot if you buy cheap beans, great for Lavazza

Advertisement