Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare and marriage

Options
  • 03-10-2019 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

We’re thinking of getting married but we lived together for a long time and were both getting the normal welfare payments... I know that our benefits will be cut short but just wondering what will they do if they find out we’ve been living together... will they just cut the benefits to both of us, will we have to pay back any monies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

If you've been claiming welfare that you're not entitled to (by living together but not declaring it) then yes, they will make you pay back whatever they deem you to have been overpaid. If your only income is welfare, then they will probably deduct an amount each week to cover the arrears rather than demanding a lump sum.

It's always tempting to cheat the system but lies have a way of coming back to bit you.

Congratulations on your future marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

FonE wrote: »
    If you've been claiming welfare that you're not entitled to (by living together but not declaring it) then yes, they will make you pay back whatever they deem you to have been overpaid. If your only income is welfare, then they will probably deduct an amount each week to cover the arrears rather than demanding a lump sum.

It's always tempting to cheat the system but lies have a way of coming back to bit you.

Congratulations on your future marriage.

Hi I’m actually entitled to it. It’s now after one year that it may need an adjustment. I just checked. Thanks

Advertisement