Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prosecutions being sought for historic IRA killings

Options
  • 02-10-2019 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

British spy in IRA and 20 others could be charged with Troubles-era crimes

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/02/ira-spy-and-20-others-could-be-prosecuted-for-troubles-era-crimes?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Funny timing that it coincides with another potential violation of the Good Friday Agreement. It's not a good thing that people were allowed get away with murder per se - but the Good Friday Agreement was a good thing, and that was part of it. The disregard for what is effectively an important peace treaty is very bad.

Doubt it is directly connected to Brexit maneuvers, but I think it reflects the mood that is growing there in a lot of quarters. Stupid defiance against imaginary forces. The nationalist madness that is gripping people in so many countries is really bizarre. All very Orwellian.

The potential prosecution of stakeknife is also interesting. Makes sense that he would be included, but his protection was from a different source.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I think the wing nut thing is largely people who feel weak wanting to feel strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Funny they would want to drag that all up again. British state overseeing republican murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Funny they would want to drag that all up again. British state overseeing republican murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,504 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A police inquiry into one of the biggest spy scandals in the history of British intelligence has recommended that more than 20 people including senior security force personnel and ex-IRA members be considered for prosecution, the Guardian has learned.

Operation Kenova, the multimillion-pound investigation into “Stakeknife” – the army agent at the heart of the IRA during the Northern Ireland Troubles – has now sent files identifying military commanders and at least one IRA veteran with a so-called “get-out-of-jail” card to the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) in Belfast.

Sources close to the inquiry have also revealed that its head, Jon Boutcher, the ex-chief constable of Bedfordshire, has had access to all secret briefing papers given to every prime minister from Margaret Thatcher onwards that related to the running of Stakeknife within the IRA.

Top lawyer hired to bring IRA double agent to justice

Stakeknife stands accused of overseeing the murder of alleged informers within the IRA while at the same time working as one of Britain’s most important spies within the Irish republican movement.

It is understood that the man accused of being Stakeknife, alleged to be Belfast bricklayer Freddie Scappaticci, is among those named by Boutcher. Sources said Scappaticci and the others on the files form “part of the evidence to be considered” by the PPS.

That's as much as I read. It's a pity the journalist did not use plain language instead of the journospeak I highlighted. Tell how they "learned", name the "sources", and say who "understands".

I read something a bit funny today. When Mick Collins was buried in Glasnevin, he was only settling into the grave & putting his feet up, when some wan placed a card on the topsoil, it said: "Move up Mick, make room for dick". The double entendre was deliberate, and partly referred to Richard Mulcahy, that other big eejit of Irish history, whom at that time was next in line for assassination.

I know that's not really relevant to your OP, which is a serious point and worth thinking about. I've just been chuckling about it all evening.

Anyway, maybe the North needs a Truth & Reconciliation commission, where everyone comes forward and gives an honest account of what they did. That would probably be helpful for themselves and their victims (on both sides) in moving forward.

That's probably way more helpful than a series of tit-for-tat prosecutions which only serve to elevate that ridiculous, provincial squabble from the streets into the courtroom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Whats your point OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I read something a bit funny today. When Mick Collins was buried in Glasnevin, he was only settling into the grave & putting his feet up, when some wan placed a card on the topsoil, it said: "Move up Mick, make room for dick". The double entendre was deliberate, and partly referred to Richard Mulcahy, that other big eejit of Irish history, whom at that time was next in line for assassination.

I know that's not really relevant to your OP, which is a serious point and worth thinking about. I've just been chuckling about it all evening.

Anyway, maybe the North needs a Truth & Reconciliation commission, where everyone comes forward and gives an honest account of what they did. That would probably be helpful for themselves and their victims (on both sides) in moving forward.

That's probably way more helpful than a series of tit-for-tat prosecutions which only serve to elevate that ridiculous, provincial squabble from the streets into the courtroom.

Mulcahy is reported as saying that towards the end of the War of Independence " we got as bad as them" meaning the British.
    The Dirty War up North was seen by both sides as a means to an end.
    I dont know any conflict solved by democratic means. The Northern situation was brought to a conclusion by both sides realising that there would be no military victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I believe the IRA waged a legitimate war of liberation.

Having said that I do believe Gerry Adams should be arrested for the murder of Jean McConville. Both Brendan Hughes & Marian Price admitted on tape that Gerry Adams ordered the murder as he was the O/C of the 2nd Battalion of the Belfast Brigade at the time, I believe it was Twomey who was Commander of the Belfast Brigade at the time but the younger Belfast IRA men were trying to get rid of him & people like Billy McKee at the time.
    Even tho I believe the overall IRA campaign was a legit liberation struggle, things like this murder, Mountainview, Kingsmill & the Tullyvallen massacres were planned war crimes.

And of course Loyalists also should be arrested for the Sean Graham's & James Murray's bookmakers massacres, the Loughinisland massacre, the Dublin & Monaghan bombings etc... And also the British Army, not just for the Bloody Sunday, Ballymurphy, Lower Falls & Springhill massacres but for individual murders like that of young boys & girls like Julie Livingstone, Carol Ann Kelly, Seamus Duffy, Stephen Geddis & Majella O'Hare.

But under the terms of the GFA agreement anybody convicted of these war crimes would only spend two years in prison. And it's unlikely anybody would be convicted as I think most of the people involved in these killings are dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I honestly believe that there is a considerable percentage on each side that are not prepared to give any concession unless they get similar. There is a level of bigotry that just wont go away. Five counties of the Six county G.A.A. delegates voted against opening Croke Park to soccer and rugby because of Bloody Sunday in 1921. Some donkeys protesting outside were wearing U.K. soccer teams jerseys.
    Loyalist bands marching in Orange parades in Derry wore the insignia of the Paratroop Regiment. So called Peace Walls in Belfast are still necessary 25 years after the G.F.A.
    The D.U.P. crew reguarly insult the Irish language.
    I accept people whose family members have been killed because of collusion, excessive use of State power, disappeared by the Provos, murdered by Provos on the instructions of Scapaticci and the Belfast leadership ( though he denies it) want closure but we will never have that if we keep dragging up the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Out today.

I don’t he was named in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

He was named.

Advertisement