Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on working while in receipt of DA

Options
  • 02-10-2019 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on starting work while also in receipt of a Disability Allowance. - I've read that I just have to send in my first payslip to the social.

I've only work experience which was so long ago while I was on a FAS course. Now that I'm able to work, I'm unsure about how to go about it.

I don't want to lie on the CV and say I've done things I haven't done but the question I have is, when do you tell your potential employer that your in receipt of a DA. Do you add it to the cover letter? Or do you tell them at all?

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on starting work while also in receipt of a Disability Allowance. - I've read that I just have to send in my first payslip to the social.

I've only work experience which was so long ago while I was on a FAS course. Now that I'm able to work, I'm unsure about how to go about it.

I don't want to lie on the CV and say I've done things I haven't done but the question I have is, when do you tell your potential employer that your in receipt of a DA. Do you add it to the cover letter? Or do you tell them at all?

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

Thanks

You’re not under any obligation to tell an employer that you’re in receipt of a SW payment. It’s no material concern of him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You obviously need to tell the social and you will be restricted on the amount of hours you can do....

If you go over these you could be taken off this...

On your CV you could put in say you travelled, took a break etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You obviously need to tell the social and you will be restricted on the amount of hours you can do....

If you go over these you could be taken off this...

On your CV you could put in say you travelled, took a break etc...

There is no restriction on the amount of hours you work while on DA. The amount you earn is means tested. Here’s the relevant information

Income from work
    You can work (which includes self-employment) and earn up to €120 per week (after deduction of PRSI, any pension contributions and union dues) without your payment being affected. If you start work, you need to notify the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) and provide proof of your earnings (a pay slip, your contract of employment or a letter from your employer).

50% of your earnings between €120 and €350 will not be taken into account in the Disability Allowance means test. Any earnings over €350 are fully assessed in the means test.
    all earnings from work over €350 are assessed as income and your entitlement to Disability Allowance will be reduced in line with the appropriate reduced rates of payment for Disability Allowance. If you have no other means, the maximum amount you can earn is €437.50 and still keep an entitlement to the minimum personal payment of €3 (from 27 March 2019). If you are getting payments for a qualified adult or qualified children your means from work are deducted from the family rate that applies to you.

Advertisement