Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing door lock/handle

Options
  • 02-10-2019 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

the door lock on our house is very diffucilt to lock, it often takes my wife several minutes of jiggling the door back and forth while trying to lock the door to make it lock.

i would tend to think it shouldnt be too hard to exchange the lock, and possibly even the doorhandle (which is quite loose by now).

what do i need to know, how do i prepare to do that?

its one of those doors that only lock when you push the handle up before locking.

in woodies, they have doorhandles and cylinder locks, but not both together. will every handle work with every lock? are those that you push up before locking different ones, or how do i identify those?

/edit: all the door handles in woodies ive seen dont have round cutouts for the key, but only those longer ones for those oldschool keys that have a round "rod" coming out from the base with the actual key part at the end
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

I would suggest that you get someone to stay in the house, remove the lock and take it with you to the hardware store and get another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Try turning the key with the door open to check if it is a problem with the lock cylinder (or key) being worn or if it is a problem with the alignment of the lock and receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Try turning the key with the door open to check if it is a problem with the lock cylinder (or key) being worn or if it is a problem with the alignment of the lock and receiver.

i think it goes in and out just fine when the door is open - i was just thinking about the receiver. maybe its a bit bend or something, i'd have to check. i hope i can straighten it out with pliers or something if it is. or maybe replace it? i think its held in place simply with 2 or 3 screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭db

Try rubbing the key with a pencil. The graphite from the pencil will transfer the key which will lubricate the lock when you use it a few times. This worked for me when I had a similar problem with a lock.

db wrote: »
    Try rubbing the key with a pencil. The graphite from the pencil will transfer the key which will lubricate the lock when you use it a few times. This worked for me when I had a similar problem with a lock.

the key is not the issue - the lock goes in and out of the door just fine when the door is opened. ist just when we close the door and then lock it, its really difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭db

That's the exact same problem I had - the graphite will transfer from the key to the lock and make it really smooth to turn. Try it, won't cost you much.

db wrote: »
    That's the exact same problem I had - the graphite will transfer from the key to the lock and make it really smooth to turn. Try it, won't cost you much.

i'll give it a shot, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

murfilein wrote: »
    the key is not the issue - the lock goes in and out of the door just fine when the door is opened. ist just when we close the door and then lock it, its really difficult.
    What type door is it? Is it sitting square in the door frame when closed and closing flush to the frame all around? The door may have warped slightly or dropped a bit on its hinges. If it has dropped a bit and the hinges are adjustable it should be possible to adjust things back into alignment.

What type door is it? Is it sitting square in the door frame when closed and closing flush to the frame all around? The door may have warped slightly or dropped a bit on its hinges. If it has dropped a bit and the hinges are adjustable it should be possible to adjust things back into alignment.

its a wooden door.

i do think it warped, there are 3 hinges, and the door is cracked at the bottom one on the inside. i guess this could be the reason.

i noticed that as soon as the dor unlocks, it kinda "jumps" open a little bit, as if its under constant tension when its closed. i need to check if the hinges are adjustable - thanks

Advertisement