Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mounting stuff on walls

Options
  • 30-09-2019 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

so i'm going to make a lot of threads in the coming weeks/months here lol, we just moved into our new house and i have no idea what i'm doing!!

so eventually we want to install wall-mounted cabinets in the kitchen for additional storage and also wall-mount our current tv and eventually replace that tv with a bigger and newer one.

now when i check the walls, they all seem to be hollow. how do i know where i can mount things without them tearing the wall down if they are too heavy?

i figure simple shelves for lighter stuff will probably not be an issue, but what about cabinets that will be filled with things and tv's? is there structure behind the walls, and if so, how do i find the spots to drill into for the best hold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

murfilein wrote: »
    so i'm going to make a lot of threads in the coming weeks/months here lol, we just moved into our new house and i have no idea what i'm doing!!

so eventually we want to install wall-mounted cabinets in the kitchen for additional storage and also wall-mount our current tv and eventually replace that tv with a bigger and newer one.

now when i check the walls, they all seem to be hollow. how do i know where i can mount things without them tearing the wall down if they are too heavy?

i figure simple shelves for lighter stuff will probably not be an issue, but what about cabinets that will be filled with things and tv's? is there structure behind the walls, and if so, how do i find the spots to drill into for the best hold?

Get a stud finder. The stud is basically wood behind the plasterboard. You want to fix anything heavy to that, and make sure you use the right fittings. Anything very light you can fix to the plasterboard with the right fittings. If you are in any doubt get a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

myshirt wrote: »
    Get a stud finder. The stud is basically wood behind the plasterboard. You want to fix anything heavy to that, and make sure you use the right fittings. Anything very light you can fix to the plasterboard with the right fittings. If you are in any doubt get a professional.

thank you!!

what would be the right fitting for light stuff? you mean like a plug or something?

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Provided you use the correct fittings, Plasterboard can take some moderately heavy stuff, it's not just very light things.

This guy has some decent videos:

You can find most of what he uses in the likes of Woodies.

For TVs (heavy ones at least) and kitchen cabinets you will definitely want to find studs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

spent about 4 hours fitting rail shelves to a plasterboard wall at the weekend and nearly went insane doing it.

Had planned to use wall anchors like these, but about 50% of the time when I tightened them up, they ended up gouging a hole in the plasterboard, and I then had to find another fitting that fitted the now-much-bigger hole.

I've used those fittings before loads of time, I don't know maybe this wall had a softer plasterboard. Very annoying. The lesson is probably to buy the setting tool if using these fittings (Woodies had the tool but it was €50 and I've never found it necessary before).

thanks for the video!

i was looking at a couple videos on youtube, and almost all of them are using those non-flexible hanging types which come with some type of baseplate - i have an "arm" that i want to use - would a baseplate be necessary if i can drill into a stud? it would be fixed with 4 screws ot the wall. i would think that if at least 2 of them are in a stud, it would probably be safe enough, no? how wide are studs anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

how wide are studs anyway?
    38mm usually.

Lumen wrote: »
    38mm usually.

oh wow, thats much more narrow than i thought. what distance is there between the studs?

what if the holes of the tv holder i have dont line up with the studs?

/edit: oh yeah the part that attaches to the wall is either wide of high i think, so it shouldnt be a problem i hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

oh wow, thats much more narrow than i thought. what distance is there between the studs?

what if the holes of the tv holder i have dont line up with the studs?
    Usually 400mm centres between studs.
    You could mount a sheet of 9mm ply to the wall spanning the studs and fix to that?

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If it's one of the TV mounts that has the TV sticking out from the wall, allowing it to rotate and stuff, then you will definitely need all the fixings going in to studs, or wood that is attached firmly to the studs.

The strength required would be much greater, since the arm effectively acts as a lever.

Could be worthwhile getting a larger (wider) mount though, that has more fixings, allowing you to hit more studs and spread the load.

Advertisement