Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiagra - 3x => 2x

Options
  • 27-09-2019 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭

I have my bike for almost a year and could never figure out how to correctly trim and use the front gears... It never shifted smoothly, felt really weird... Today I learned why...

I have a 2-ring chainset FSA Omega Compact MegaExo 48/32. However, my Tiagra 4700 shifter has 3 positions (plus trimmings). Yes - I am pretty sure it has three: When on the biggest ring, I can trim the derailer with a gentle push, then shift, trim, and shift again... It's a factory build - that's the way I got it from Wiggle.

I came across that some shifters have a switch to go from 3x to 2x. Does Tiagra 4700 has one?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IIRC, you should be able to find out the model number on the shifters by peeling the hoods forward (i.e. away from the bars); yours should say 4703?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

IIRC, you should be able to find out the model number on the shifters by peeling the hoods forward (i.e. away from the bars); yours should say 4703?

It says 4700...

What is the distance between rings in 3-speed Shimano Tiagra Crankset? As long as the MegaExo is the the same, I should be able to play with the screws on the derailer and effectively get two positions of it. I am afraid the MegaExo has wider spacing between the rings though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

F.S.A. Omega and Shimano Tiagra crank sets are 100% interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

grogi wrote: »
    It says 4700...

What is the distance between rings in 3-speed Shimano Tiagra Crankset? As long as the MegaExo is the the same, I should be able to play with the screws on the derailer and effectively get two positions of it. I am afraid the MegaExo has wider spacing between the rings though...

Just to clarify grogi - you have the correct (4700) shifter for your double chainset. From your post above, you seem to be suggesting having to find a work around due to having the incorrect front shifter for your chainset, but this isn’t the case.

Separately, there should be no discernible difference in spacing between the chainrings on any 10 speed chainsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You should just set position 1 to the lower chainring, 3 to the upper chainring and the middle one is "idle". Get in the habit of shifting two positions at a time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement