Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canal Cycleways surface

Options
  • 27-09-2019 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Can I ask what the surface quality is like on the canal cycleways in and out of dublin are like? much broken glass? suitable for road bike?

Gonna start from Crumlin heading west and then cutting north to join the other one at Leixlip, again heading west.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

surface is not the issue. there's a whole other thing: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057903085&page=13

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RunDMC

The Grand Canal cycleway ends at 12th Lock, but you can continue past on the un-surfaced towpath. I would recommend it on a road bike, especially if it is wet.

If you go over to the Royal canal, there are a couple of sections that are un-surfaced, between Leixlip and Carton House, about 1.5km in total. Possibly on a road bike, but tricky in the wet. From Carton House to Mullingar, it is fully surfaced, suitable for any bike.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Did the grand about a week ago. If you're not too prissy it would be doable on a road bike. Grass from lucan to hazelhatch. Then its grit again for a good bit till before sallins. But it was dry when I did it and its due to rain a lot over next while. Wouldn't be worried about glass. Scobes not a problem in the morning and even then only on the clondalkin bit.

By road bike I assume you mean 23 or 25 mm tyres. 28 or 30 would probably be grand.

Advertisement